Subject: [MEXT] Q: HA Address discovery in DSMIP6

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:51:41 +0100

Hi Hesham,

In Rev 8 of the I-D in Sec 3.1 it says:

"
   Note that the use of
   [I-D.ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc] cannot give the mobile
   node information that allows it to communicate with the home agent if
   the mobile node is located in an IPv4-only network.  In this
   scenario, the mobile node needs to discover the IPv4 address of its
   home agent through the DNS.
"

I am just trying to understand this a bit better. Because it appears that
you are essentially saying that the only way to obtain an HAs IPv4 address
is via DNS.

The MN can do DHCP(v4) when attached to a v4 (only) subnet and obtain the DS
HAs IPv4 address via the DHCP option. This is possible. The above sentence
seems to rule this out. Any reason why this is ruled out?

-Raj