Subject: [MEXT] Proposed RFC editor change for DSMIPv6

From: Hesham Soliman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:00:21 +1100

Folks, 

I had a private conversation with Raj where he suggested that the HA
discovery for DSMIPv6, when a mobile node is in an IPv4-only network, can be
done using DHCPv4. Raj referred to a DHCP option designed for MIPv4 that can
be used to provide the IPv4 address for the HA.

We discussed the fact that this option would not tell the MN if the HA is
dual stack or if it supports DSMIPv6 at all. So it will be a trial and error
type discovery (unlike the current use of DNS or DHCPv6).

Raj Proposed the text below. One might also want to consider running DHCPv6
on top of IPv4, which IMO is a clearer option for this case.

Please let us know if you agree with this text, I'm cc'ing Jari and Pasi
because Pasi made a comment earlier on this section. Since the draft has
already been reviewed by the IESG, I suggest that if the WG agrees with this
text, it should be added to the RFC editor notes.

Proposed text to be added:

d/ Note that the use of
   [I-D.ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc] cannot give the mobile
   node information that allows it to communicate with the home agent if
   the mobile node is located in an IPv4-only network.  In this
   scenario, the mobile node needs to discover the IPv4 address of its
   home agent through the DNS.

a/When the mobile node is located in an IPv4 only network it needs to
discover the IPv4 address of its home agent. The mobile node can obtain the
IPv4 address of its home agent through DNS or via DHCPv4 from the DHCP
Mobile IP Home Agent Option 68 [REF 2132].

Please comment, silence does not mean that the text is acceptable.

Hesham