Subject: [MEXT] DSMIP6 bootstrapping...

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:36:31 +0100

Hesham,

In Sec 3.1 (HA Addr discovery):
"
   Note that the use of
   [I-D.ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc] cannot give the mobile
   node information that allows it to continue to communicate with the
   home agent if, for example, the mobile node moved from an IPv6-
   enabled network to an IPv4-only network.  In this scenario, the
   mobile node would need to discover the IPv4 address of its home agent
   through the DNS.
"

The above is based on the assumption that the MN does not know the IPv4
address of the HA prior to moving to an IPv4 only network. Maybe you should
make this assumption clear. But realistically would you not expect that a
DSMIP6 MN would obtain the v6 and v4 addresses of the HA when it bootstraps?
So even if the DSMIP6 MN were to bootstrap from an IPv6 only network, it
would still obtain the v4 address of the HA in order to ensure continuity
when it moves to an IPv4 only network.

If a DSMIP6 MN is unaware of the HAs IPv4 address and moves from an IPv6
network to an IPv4 only network, it can discover the HAs IPv4 address via
DNS or DHCP and continue to communicate with the HA following that process.
So is the statement above "cannot give the MN information that allows it to
continue to communicate with the HA" accurate?

Maybe I am missing something here and clarification appreciated.

-Raj