Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Softwires (softwire)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:35:51 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Softwires (softwire) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Softwires working group in
the Internet Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination
as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for informational
purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list
([email-masked]) by Tuesday, September 23, 2008.

Softwires (softwire)
----------------------

Last Modified: 2008-09-10

Current Status: Active Working Group

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/softwire

Chair(s):
Alain Durand [email-masked] David Ward [email-masked] 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko [email-masked]
Mark Townsley [email-masked]

Internet Area Advisor:
Mark Townsley [email-masked]

Technical Advisor(s):
Xing Li [email-masked]

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked] In Body: With a subject line:
subscribe
Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Softwires Working Group is specifying the standardization of
discovery, control and encapsulation methods for connecting IPv4
networks across IPv6 networks and IPv6 networks across IPv4 networks in
a way that will encourage multiple, inter-operable implementations.

For various reasons, native IPv4 and/or IPv6 transport may not be
available in all cases, and there is a need to tunnel IPv4 in IPv6 or
IPv6 in IPv4 to cross a part of the network which is not IPv4 or IPv6
capable. The Softwire Problem Statement, RFC 4925, identifies two
distinct topological scenarios that the WG will provide solutions for,
"Hubs and Spokes" and "Mesh." In the former case, hosts or "stub"
networks are attached via individual, point-to-point, IPv4 over IPv6 or
IPv6 over
IPv4
softwires to a centralized Softwire Concentrator. In the latter case
(Mesh), network islands of one Address Family (IPv4 or IPv6) are
connected over a network of another Address Family via point to
multi-point softwires among Address family Border Routers (AFBRs).

The focus of this WG is to:

Document the softwire encapsulation and control protocol usage for one
Address Family (IPv6 or IPv4) over another within the defined problem
spaces set out in RFC 4925.

Define "Dual-Stack Lite" which uses softwires and IPv4 NAT functions to
reduce the amount of Global and RFC 1918 Local IPv4 addressing necessary
for a Service Provider with an IPv6-enabled network to continue
delivering IPv4 reachability to its customers.

The WG will reuse existing technologies as much as possible and only
when necessary, create additional protocol building blocks.

For generality, all base SOFTWIRE encapsulation mechanisms should
support all combinations of IP versions over one other (IPv4 over IPv6,
IPv6 over IPv4, IPv4 over IPv4, IPv6 over IPv6). IPv4 to IPv6
translation mechanisms (NAT-PT), new addressing schemes, and block
address assignments are out of scope. DHCP options developed in this
group will be reviewed jointly with the DHC WG. BGP and other routing
and signaling protocols developed in this group will be reviewed jointly
with the proper working groups and other workings that may take interest
(e.g. IDR, L3VPN, PIM, LDP, SAAG, etc) .

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit a softwires problem statement to the IESG to be considered
as an Informational RFC

Nov 2008 Submit H&S softwire encapsulation and control protocol to the
IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard

Nov 2008 Submit Mesh softwire encapsulation and control protocol to the
IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard

Mar 2009 Submit dual-stack lite to the IESG to be considered as a
Proposed Standard. The initial basis for this solution is described in
draft-durand-dual-stack-lite-00.txt and
draft-droms-softwires-snat-01.txt.

Dec 2009 Submit softwires MIB to the IESG to be considered as Proposed
Standard
_______________________________________________
MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors