Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:08:32 +0100

If there are any questions, comments or concerns please let me or Ron
know before COB 2/25. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 8:31 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Ad-Hoc Network
Autoconfiguration (autoconf) 

A new charter for the Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration working group
(autoconf) in the Internet Area of the IETF is being considered.  The
draft charter is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Last Modified: 2009-02-18 
 
Cuurent Status: Active Working Group 
 
Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/autoconf 
 
Chair(s): 
Ryuji Wakikawa [[email-masked]] Thomas Clausen
[[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Director(s): 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]]
Mark Townsley [[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Advisor: 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]] 
 
Mailing Lists: 
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf
Archive: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/maillist.html 
 
Description of Working Group: 
 
In order to communicate among themselves, ad hoc nodes (refer to RFC
2501) need to configure their network interface(s) with local addresses
that are valid within an ad hoc network. Ad hoc nodes may also need to
configure globally routable addresses, in order to communicate with
devices on the Internet. From the IP layer perspective, an ad hoc
network presents itself as a L3 multi-hop network formed over a
collection of links. 
 
The main purpose of the AUTOCONF WG is to describe the addressing model
for ad hoc networks and how nodes in these networks configure their
addresses. It is required that such models do not cause problems for ad
hoc-unaware parts of the system, such as standard applications running
on an ad hoc node or regular Internet nodes attached to the ad hoc
nodes. This group's effort may include the development of new protocol
mechanisms, should the existing IP autoconfiguration mechanisms be found
inadequate. However, the first task of the working group is to describe
one practical addressing model for ad hoc networks. 
 
Once this sole work item is completed, the group can be rechartered to
work on additional issues. 
 
Goals and Milestones: 
 
Apr 2009 Submit initial draft on address configuration in ad hoc
networks Sep 2009 Submit address configuration draft to IESG as
Informational or close WG