Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Management item: Proposal for revised IESG statement about copyrighttext in MIB and PIB modules

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:21:26 +0100

We received input from the Legal Counsel, that as MIB and PIB modules
are specific cases of code the full code legend must be used. 

Here is the updated version of the IESG statement:

                     Copyright statement in MIB and PIB Modules
   
    Many people/tools extract the MIB or PIB modules out of our
    RFCs that contain a MIB or PIB module. In most cases they
    remove the copyright information that is part of the RFC.
    This is against the IETF copyright claim.

    People/tools do this not with bad intentions. The reason they
    do not extract the copyright info is because it is not in machine
    readable/parsable form, and they want the MIB or PIB modules to
    feed them into their agents, network management platforms, or
    other MIB or PIB tools.

    In order to ensure that the copyright statement is properly
    preserved and included in extracted MIB and PIB modules, and in
    order to make it easier for people/tools to keep the proper
    copyright when extracting MIB or PIB modules, the IESG has
    agreed with the RFC-Editor that:

    The RFC-Editor, during the editing process of an RFC that
    contains a MIB or a PIB Module, copies a copyright
    statement into the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY
    macro of each MIB or PIB Module in the RFC-to-be.

    The copyright statement to be added for a MIB module is:
       
    " Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons identified
as
    authors of the MIB module. All rights reserved.

    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
    are met:

    - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the
      documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

    - Neither the name of Internet Society, IETF or IETF Trust, nor the
      names of specific contributors, may be used to endorse or promote
      products derived from this software without specific prior written
      permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
    OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL,
    SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE,
    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY
    THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
USE
    OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

    This version of this MIB module is part of RFC xxxx; 
    see the RFC itself for full legal notices."

    The copyright statement to be added for a PIB module is:
       
        "Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons
identified as
    authors of the PIB module. All rights reserved.

    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
    are met:

    - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the
      documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

    - Neither the name of Internet Society, IETF or IETF Trust, nor the
      names of specific contributors, may be used to endorse or promote
      products derived from this software without specific prior written
      permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
    OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL,
    SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE,
    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY
    THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
USE
    OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

     This version of this PIB module is part of RFC xxxx; 
     see the RFC itself for full legal notices."

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Romascanu, Dan (Dan)

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:34:59 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:21 AM
> Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Management item: Proposal for revised IESGstatement about copyrighttext in MIB and PIB modules
>
...

Is there consequently a need to update existing modules that
lack these incantations?

Randy

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:36:26 +0100

I do not think so. Retroactively? Why should we do it? 

Dan

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randy Presuhn
> Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:35 PM
> To: MIB Doctors (E-mail)
> Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Management item: Proposal for 
> revisedIESGstatement about copyrighttext in MIB and PIB modules
> 
> Hi -
> 
> > Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Management item: Proposal for revised 
> > IESGstatement about copyrighttext in MIB and PIB modules
> >
> _______________________________________________
> MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors
>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:50:04 -0600

>    macro of each MIB or PIB Module in the RFC-to-be.

This need to be that the draft authors, not the RFC Ed puts this in.  
Doing it earlier allows us to catch it with tools like idnits and  
makes it clear even for things that are extracted before the RFC is  
published.

You should phrase the whole things as just a statement that the MIB  
needs to contain the text you are proposing.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:57:52 +0100

Good comment. Update will follow. 

Note however that for these documents having passed the IESG approval
stage it is still the RFC Editor who needs to make the changes, These
are however in finite and soon decreasing numbers. 

Dan

> From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:50 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: [email-masked]; MIB Doctors (E-mail)
> Subject: Re: Management item: Proposal for revised IESG 
> statement about copyrighttext in MIB and PIB modules
> 
> 
> Doing it earlier allows us to catch it with tools like idnits 
> and makes it clear even for things that are extracted before 
> the RFC is published.
> 
> You should phrase the whole things as just a statement that 
> the MIB needs to contain the text you are proposing.
> 
> 
>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:54:42 -0600

> are however in finite and soon decreasing numbers.

Yep, that makes sense.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:07:45 +0100

Here is an updated version, taking into account the latest comments
received: 

    In order to ensure that the copyright statement is properly
    preserved and included in extracted MIB and PIB modules, and in
    order to make it easier for people/tools to keep the proper
    copyright when extracting MIB or PIB modules, the IESG 
    recommends that Internet-Drafts  that contain a MIB or a PIB 
    Module include copies  of a copyright
    statement into the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY
    macro of each MIB or PIB Module in the RFC-to-be.

    It is recommended that the copyright statements be included in the
    relevant Internet-Drafts by their respective editors and be verified

    by the available automated tools. In case the copyright notice
    is missing or incorrect the RFC-Editor should add it during the 
    editing process of an RFC that contains a MIB or a PIB Module.

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:08:43 -0600

Thanks - I like it.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:23:11 +0100

Following the IESG telechat here is an updated version. As per
discussion in the IESG telechat I have added a paragraph making clear
that the purpose of this statement is to align the copyright notice in
MIB and PIB modules with RFC 5378. 

The next steps are to have this statement reviewed and approved by the
IETF Legal Counsel, and than by the IESG. We hope to complete these two
steps in the next few days so that we can move ahead with the documents
now blocked in final RFC Editor phases. 

Dan

    This IESG statement clarifies the copyright statements that 
    need to be included in Internet-Drafts and RFCs that contain
    MIB or PIB modules, according to the IETF policies detailed in 
    RFC 5378.