Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Copyright notice in "code"

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:09:14 +0100

Russ,

I thought that we already knew this from the previous conversations. The clarification that I thought that we were expecting from Jorge was whether we are allowed to replace 'the code' in the first paragraph by 'the MIB module' for MIB modules and 'the PIB module' for PIB modules. Or we must use exactly the copyright text below?

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Russ Housley
Sent: Wed 3/25/2009 7:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Copyright notice in "code"
 
I spoke with Jorge today, and he confirmed that the entire legend below needs to appear in comments in any code, such as MIB, PIB, ASN.1, XML Schema, and so on.  This is needed to comply with the BSD open source license.

Russ

	    Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons identified as
	    authors of the code. All rights reserved.
	
	    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
	    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
	    are met:
	
	    - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
	      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
	
	    - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
	      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
	      documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
	
	    - Neither the name of Internet Society, IETF or IETF Trust, nor the
	      names of specific contributors, may be used to endorse or promote
	      products derived from this software without specific prior written
	      permission.
	
	    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
	    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
	    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
	    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
	    OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
	    SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
	    LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
	    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
	    THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
	    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
	    OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.