Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:15:16 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Transport Area.  The
IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday,
February 16, 2010.                           

Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
  TBD

Transport Area Director(s):
  Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
  Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
  Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
  [email-masked]

Description of Working Group:

The Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP) working group develops two
signaling and control protocols for a peer-to-peer (P2P) streaming
system for transmitting live and pre-recorded media content with near
real-time delivery requirements.

Two kinds of nodes exist in the targeted P2P streaming system, i.e.,
"peers" and "trackers". Peers are nodes that are actively sending and
receiving streamed media content, and include both statically connected
hosts as well as mobile devices with connectivity and IP addresses that
change over time. The set of peers that are participating in a streaming
session will dynamically change over time. Trackers are well-known nodes
with stable connectivity that maintain meta information about the
streamed content and the dynamic peer set.

The PPSP WG designs a protocol for signaling and control between
trackers and peers (the PPSP "tracker protocol") and a signaling and
control protocol for communication among the peers (the PPSP "peer
protocol"). The two protocols enable peers to receive streaming data
within the time constraints required by specific content items.
The tracker protocol handles the initial and periodic exchange of meta
information between trackers and peers, such as peer lists and content
information. The peer protocol controls the advertising and exchange of
media data availability between the peers.

Existing IETF and other standards will be used for the encoding and
transmission of the media content between peers. PPSP is not chartered
to work on media transmission protocols, media encoding techniques or
other components of a P2P streaming system such as playout scheduling
and control, etc.

The work items of the PPSP WG are:

  (1) A "problem statement" document that gives an overview of the
      proposed P2P streaming system, motivates the desire for 
      standardized protocols, defines the envisioned scope of those
      standardized components and discusses common terminologies and
      concepts.

  (2) A "requirements" document that details the specific functional,
      operational and performance requirements of the two PPSP
protocols.

  (3) An "architectural survey" document that summarizes current
      P2P streaming architectures, in particular tracker-based P2P
      streaming systems, and highlights best current practices.

  (4) A detailed specification of the PPSP peer protocol.

  (5) A detailed specification of the PPSP tracker protocol.

  (6) A "usage guide" that describes how the two PPSP protocols and
      existing IETF protocols, such as RELOAD, ALTO or RTSP, can be
      combined to create a deployable operational P2P streaming system.
      This document may also discuss variants of such a system that,
      for example, use layered media encoding and related media chunk
      descriptions in the peer protocol for more robust streaming.

The work items of the PPSP WG interacts with the work performed in other
IETF WGs, including P2PSIP, ALTO, LEDBAT and MMUSIC. Whenever extensions
or modification to the protocols developed in other WGs are deemed
necessary, PPSP shall communicate and discuss the requirements for such
extensions with the relevant WGs. The design of such extensions is out
of scope for PPSP.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec 2010   Submit problem statement to IESG as Informational
Apr 2011   Submit architectural survey to IESG as Informational
Apr 2011   Submit requirements document to IESG as Informational
Aug 2011   Submit PPSP peer protocol to IESG as Proposed Standard 
Aug 2011   Submit PPSP tracker protocol to IESG as Proposed Standard
Dec 2011   Submit usage guide to IESG to IESG as Informational