Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] snmpIeee802Domain in the IANA SNMP Transport Domains registry

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:06:04 +0100

Hi,

Martin Bjorklund discovered that SNMP over IEEE 802 as defined in RFC
4789 is not listed in the SNMP Transport Domains registry maintained
by IANA (and which was established by RFC 5590).

http://www.iana.org/assignments/snmp-number-spaces/snmp-number-spaces.xml#snmp-number-spaces-7

I assume this was an oversight and I think a proper fix is to add

| i802 | snmpIeee802Domain | [RFC4789] [RFC5590] |

after the prxy and before the ssh entry. This entry really should
have been created by RFC 5590 - I think this is where we overlooked
this.

If we agree that this is the correct fix, I would need advice in
getting it implemented. Do we file an errate for RFC 5590 and once
that errata is approved we can get IANA to update the registry?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:39:18 +0100

Hi,

Martin Bjorklund made the point that for SNMP over UDP over IPv6, we
actually use the TDomain/TAddress pairs defined in RFC 3419 (see
section 3.1.2 of RFC 3419). Now it seems not totally clear whether RFC
5590 really wants a distinction between UDP over IPv4 and UDP over
IPv6 but the way the registry has been designed, there is only space
for one TDomain per row I think. (Note that for TLS, DTLS and SSH
transports, the address format covers both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.)
Or can we have two rows in the registry with the same prefix, that is
we would add

| udp | transportDomainUdpIpv6 | [RFC3419] [RFC5590] |

after declaring an errata that RFC 5590 did leave this out by accident
(and I am leaving out the case of transportDomainUdpIpv6z right now,
perhaps another mistake).

/js