Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] Object Naming conventions

From: "Glenn M. Keeni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:17:29 +0900

Hi,
   The MIPv6 MIB module (RFC4295) does not conform with the
naming convention suggested in Appendix of RFC4181. It has

       Mip6NodeTrafficEntry ::=
          SEQUENCE {
                  mip6NodeInOctets             Counter32,
                  mip6HCNodeInOctets           Counter64,
                  mip6NodeInPkts               Counter32,
                  mip6HCNodeInPkts             Counter64,

Does this non-conformance require some action like renaming/
aliasing ?

Thanks,

Glenn

---

From: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:40:21 +0100

So I guess you mean that according to the naming conventions
in the appendix you would use mib6NodeHCInoctets instead
of mip6HCNodeInOctets.

I think that would have indeed been nicer and better following
the suggested/recommended naming conventions.

But I do not think it is worth fixing, which would mean a
deprecate/obsolete of old objects and creating new current ones.
So you would get new OIDs for the renamed objects. Not worth the
trouble. And there are many MIB modules that have similar
naming "inconsistencies"...

See section 10.2 of RFC2578, specifically:

    Otherwise, if the semantics of any previously defined object are
    changed (i.e., if a non-editorial change is made to any clause other
    than those specifically allowed above), then the OBJECT IDENTIFIER
    value associated with that object must also be changed.

    Note that changing the descriptor associated with an existing object
    is considered a semantic change, as these strings may be used in an
    IMPORTS statement.

Hope this helps.
Bert Wijnen

On 3/19/13 11:17 AM, Glenn M. Keeni wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:53:49 +0100

> naming "inconsistencies"...

+1

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Glenn M. Keeni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:55:11 +0900

Bert, Juergen,
     Thanks. That was helpful.
Glenn