Subject: [mif] definition of a MIF host

From: Nicolas Montavont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:58:35 +0200

Hi,

(I'm only starting to follow this group, so I hope my question was not  
discussed before...)

I'd like to come back on the discussion on a MIF host as defined in  
draft-blanchet-mif-problem-statement-00.

In the former WG Monami6, we worked on the following document:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-monami6-multihoming-motivation-scenario-03.txt

where we also proposed a definition for a multihomed node. We came up  
with the following definitions:

    Interface

       A node's point of attachment to a link (as defined in [5])

    Multihomed Node

       A node (either a host or a router) is multihomed when it has
       several global IPv6 addresses to choose between, i.e. in the
       following cases when it is either:

       *  multi-prefixed: multiple prefixes are advertised on the  
link(s)
          the node is attached to, or.

       *  multi-interfaced: the node has multiple interfaces to choose
          between, on the same link or not.

Basically it says that a node is multi-homed as soon as it has  
multiple addresses of the same scope, from which it can choose to send  
data packets. What was good IMHO in this definition, is that it is  
concise and does not try to cover all cases where you can end up in  
that case.

So for the purpose of draft-blanchet-mif-problem-statement-00, I would  
suggest to keep the definition very short, and then have examples in  
another section that show how a host can be multi-homed / MIF (several  
interfaces, several administrative domains, etc).

In the same sense, I think that the bullet "Communications using these  
IP addresses may happen simultaneous and independently." should not be  
in the definition, but again, in some explanations of scenarios.

Regards,
Nicolas

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:30:38 +0200

- thanks. it is in fact very good input. the monami6 definition is
however a bit v6 specific (eg. prefixes advertised on the link) where
mif shall be af agnostic. I'll adapt it for mif.

Marc.

Nicolas Montavont a écrit :
>       *  multi-prefixed: multiple prefixes are advertised on the link(s)
> Basically it says that a node is multi-homed as soon as it has multiple
> addresses of the same scope, from which it can choose to send data
> packets. What was good IMHO in this definition, is that it is concise
> and does not try to cover all cases where you can end up in that case.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif

-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN news service: http://reeves.viagenie.ca

---

From: Nicolas Montavont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:33:15 +0200

On Jul 30, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:

> however a bit v6 specific (eg. prefixes advertised on the link)

Yeah, you're right, definitely - I forgot to mention it

Nicolas

> where
>> multiple