Subject: [mif] DNS server selection issue #4: Coexistence with RFC3646

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:59:55 +0100

Hi,

I crafted following text for coexistence with RFC3646 "DNS Configuration options for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)":
--
3.2.  Coexistence with RFC3646

   The OPTION_DNS_SERVER_SELECT is designed to coexist with
   OPTION_DNS_SERVERS as defined in [RFC3646].  The DNS servers from
   OPTION_DNS_SERVERS are considered as default name servers with medium
   preference.  When both options are received, from same or different
   interfaces, the node SHOULD make decision which one to use based on
   preferences.  If OPTION_DNS_SERVER_SELECT defines medium preference
   then DNS server selection decision is implementation specific and
   may, for example, be based on preferred interface.  All default
   servers are assumed to be able to resolve queries for global names.

   The node MUST always use a DNS server that is configured with suffix
   matching for a queried name, even if that server would generally be
   of lower preference than the DNS server learned via
   OPTION_DNS_SERVERS.
--

Any comments?

Teemu