Subject: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:10:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiple Interfaces Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Improved DNS Server Selection for Multi-Interfaced Nodes
	Author(s)       : Teemu Savolainen
                          Jun-ya Kato
                          Ted Lemon
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2011-09-20

   A multi-interfaced node is connected to multiple networks, some of
   which may be utilizing private DNS namespaces.  A node commonly
   receives DNS server configuration information from all connected
   networks.  Some of the DNS servers may have information about
   namespaces other servers do not have.  When a multi-interfaced node
   needs to utilize DNS, the node has to choose which of the servers to
   contact to.  This document describes DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 option that
   can be used to configure nodes with information required to perform
   informed DNS server selection decisions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.txt

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:38:56 +0000

I uploaded -05 update so that next comments would take into account changes
I already did based on discussions with Murray (as was copied to this list).

The biggest clarifications related to how DNS queries are sent to different
servers and when all servers are waited for answers (if reply is not
validated) and when not. I.e. this text:
--
   A node SHALL send requests to DNS servers in the order defined by the
   priority list until an acceptable reply is received, all replies are
   received, or a time out occurs.  In the case of a requested name
   matching to a specific domain or network rule accepted from any
   interface, a DNSSEC-aware resolver MUST NOT proceed with a reply that
   cannot be validated using DNSSEC until all DNS servers on the
   priority list have been contacted or timed out.  This protects
   against possible redirection attacks.  In the case of the requested
   name not matching to any specific domain or network, first received
   response from any DNS server MAY be considered acceptable.  A DNSSEC-
   aware node MAY always contact all DNS server in an attempt to receive
   a response that can be validated, but contacting all DNS servers is
   not mandated for the default case as in some deployments that would
   consume excess resources.
--

	Teemu

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> ext [email-masked]
> Sent: 20. syyskuuta 2011 22:10
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.txt
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Multiple Interfaces Working Group of the
> IETF.
> 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-05.tx
t
> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif