Subject: [mif] DNS (ab)use in captive portals

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 14:52:48 -0500

>>>>> "Ted" == Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> The IETF needs to write a BCP on captive portals. Abusing DNS is
    >> never the right answer due to DNSSEC, the MIF situation just
    >> makes that obvious to more users.

    Ted> It would be nice if we had a solution to offer, and not just a
    Ted> set of practices to follow.  Right now there is no IETF
    Ted> protocol that can be used to say "you have connected to a
    Ted> captive portal, please do BLAH so that you can access the
    Ted> network."

I was under the impression that something was being proposed (a dhc
option?) to say, "here is the URL you must visit to authenticate"

I know that MS and Android (and Apple?) mobile devices can sometimes
detect that there is a portal.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:04:17 -0500

Le 2013-02-04 à 14:52, Michael Richardson a écrit :

> I know that MS and Android (and Apple?)

Apple: yes.

> mobile devices can sometimes

Apple does by trying to contact via http a well-known url with a well known content. If the content does not match, then you are behind a portal.

Marc.

> _______________________________________________
> mif mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif