Subject: [mile] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6545 (5588)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 11:02:03 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6545,
"Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5588

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Logan Widick <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.1

Original Text
-------------
Page 18 says:

PolicyRegion

      One or many.  REQUIRED.  The values for the attribute "region" are
      used to determine what policy area may require consideration
      before a trace can be approved.  The PolicyRegion may include
      multiple selections from the attribute list in order to fit all
      possible policy considerations when crossing regions, consortiums,
      or networks.

   region

      One or many.  REQUIRED.  ENUM.  The attribute region is used to
      identify the expected sharing range of the incident information.
      The region may be within a region or defined by existing
      relationships such as those of a consortium or a client to a
      service provider.

Corrected Text
--------------
Page 18 should say:

PolicyRegion

      One or many.  REQUIRED.  The values for the attribute "region" are
      used to determine what policy area may require consideration
      before a trace can be approved.  The PolicyRegion may include
      multiple selections from the attribute list in order to fit all
      possible policy considerations when crossing regions, consortiums,
      or networks.

   region

      One.  REQUIRED.  ENUM.  The attribute region is used to
      identify the expected sharing range of the incident information.
      The region may be within a region or defined by existing
      relationships such as those of a consortium or a client to a
      service provider.

Notes
-----
The text as written (with "One or many" instances of the "region" attribute) suggests that 
<PolicyRegion region="ClientToSP" region="SPToClient"/> 
would be legal. 

However, the schema (Section 8) and the fact that a single XML tag can't contain more than one instance of a given attribute (see https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#uniqattspec, "An attribute name MUST NOT appear more than once in the same start-tag or empty-element tag") indicate that the above example of a PolicyRegion is not legal, and would need to be replaced with:
<PolicyRegion region="ClientToSP"/>
<PolicyRegion region="SPToClient"/> 

Perhaps a better revision might be to put PolicyRegion as its own class, complete with its own (sub-)section and UML diagram, much like the IncidentID class in IODEF.  That would make things more clear. 

A similar issue is also present with the way that the TrafficType is defined on pages 19-20.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6545 (draft-ietf-mile-rfc6045-bis-11)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID)
Publication Date    : April 2012
Author(s)           : K. Moriarty
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Managed Incident Lightweight Exchange
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG