Subject: [mile] Alexey Melnikov's Yes on draft-ietf-mile-jsoniodef-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 03:19:52 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mile-jsoniodef-13: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mile-jsoniodef/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for addressing my earlier DISCUSS. Below are a few minor
questions/comments based on your most recent changes to the document:

2.2.5.  Structured Information

   When embedding the raw data, base64 encoding defined in Section 4 of
   [RFC4648] SHOULD be used for JSON IODEF while binary representation
   SHOULD be used for CBOR IODEF.

Why are you using SHOULD twice above? Is there any reason why you are not using
MUST?

2.2.6.  EXTENSION

   Note that this data type is prepared in [RFC7970] as its generic

I think you meant "specified" here instead of "prepared".

   extension mechanism.  If a data item has internal structure that is
   intended to be processed outside of the IODEF framework, one may
   consider using StructuredInfo data type mentioned in Section 2.2.5.

In 3.2:

   o  The elements of ML_STRING type in XML IODEF document are presented
      as either STRING type or ML_STRING type in JSON IODEF document.
      When converting from XML IODEF document to JSON one or vice versa,
      the information contained in the original data of ML_STRING type
      must be preserved.  When STRING is used instead of ML_STRING,
      parsers can assume that its xml:lang is set to "en".  Otherwise it

I am not sure what "Otherwise" is used for here? Are you saying that the default
is either "en" or another value agreed by both receiver and sender?
If this is what you intended, then I think the sentence starting with
"Otherwise" is not correct, as it will cause non interoperable behaviour. I.e.,
if the default is not "en", the language tag has to be specified in the JSON
document.

      is expected that both receiver and sender have some external
      methods to agree upon the language used in this field.

---

From: "Takeshi Takahashi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:17:35 -0800

Hello Alexey,

Thank you for your kind review.

> Why are you using SHOULD twice above? Is there any reason why you are not
using MUST?

We have changed them into MUST. Thank you.

> I think you meant "specified" here instead of "prepared".

Thank you for the correction.

> I am not sure what "Otherwise" is used for here? Are you saying that the
default is either "en" or another value agreed by both receiver and sender?
> If this is what you intended, then I think the sentence starting with
"Otherwise" is not correct, as it will cause non interoperable behaviour.
I.e., if the default is not "en", the language tag has to be specified in
the JSON document.

We have deleted the sentence starting with "Otherwise" because it does not
make sense and it causes non interoperable behavior as you kindly pointed
out.

The changes are already reflected to the working github repository.
https://github.com/milewg/draft-ietf-mile-jsoniodef

Let me publish this document to the datatracker after some time (because we
might receive further comments.)
Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Take

-----Original Message-----
From: mile <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Alexey Melnikov via
Datatracker
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 3:20 AM
To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [mile] Alexey Melnikov's Yes on draft-ietf-mile-jsoniodef-13: (with
COMMENT)

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email
addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Why are you using SHOULD twice above? Is there any reason why you are not
using MUST?

2.2.6.  EXTENSION

In 3.2:

I am not sure what "Otherwise" is used for here? Are you saying that the
default is either "en" or another value agreed by both receiver and sender?
If this is what you intended, then I think the sentence starting with
"Otherwise" is not correct, as it will cause non interoperable behaviour.
I.e., if the default is not "en", the language tag has to be specified in
the JSON document.

_______________________________________________
mile mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mile