Subject: [mile] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7970 (6163)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7970,
"The Incident Object Description Exchange Format Version 2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6163

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: François Poirotte <[email-masked]>

Section: 7.2

Original Text
-------------
 An example of C2 domains from a given campaign.

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <!-- A list of C2 domains associated with a campaign -->
   <IODEF-Document version="2.00" xml:lang="en"
      xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:iodef-2.0"
      xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xsi:schemaLocation=
      "http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/
       iodef-2.0.xsd">
     <Incident purpose="watch" restriction="green">
       <IncidentID name="csirt.example.com">897923</IncidentID>
         <RelatedActivity>
           <ThreatActor>
             <ThreatActorID>
             TA-12-AGGRESSIVE-BUTTERFLY
             </ThreatActorID>
             <Description>Aggressive Butterfly</Description>
           </ThreatActor>
           <Campaign>
             <CampaignID>C-2015-59405</CampaignID>
             <Description>Orange Giraffe</Description>
           </Campaign>
         </RelatedActivity>
         <GenerationTime>2015-10-02T11:18:00-05:00</GenerationTime>
         <Description>Summarizes the Indicators of Compromise
           for the Orange Giraffe campaign of the Aggressive
           Butterfly crime gang.
         </Description>
         <Assessment>
           <BusinessImpact type="breach-proprietary"/>
         </Assessment>
         <Contact type="organization" role="creator">
           <ContactName>CSIRT for example.com</ContactName>
           <Email>
             <EmailTo>[email-masked]</EmailTo>
           </Email>
         </Contact>
         <IndicatorData>
           <Indicator>
             <IndicatorID name="csirt.example.com" version="1">
             G90823490
             </IndicatorID>
             <Description>C2 domains</Description>
             <StartTime>2014-12-02T11:18:00-05:00</StartTime>
             <Observable>
               <BulkObservable type="fqdn">

Corrected Text
--------------
 An example of C2 domains from a given campaign.

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <!-- A list of C2 domains associated with a campaign -->
   <IODEF-Document version="2.00" xml:lang="en"
      xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:iodef-2.0"
      xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xsi:schemaLocation=
      "http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/
       iodef-2.0.xsd">
     <Incident purpose="watch" restriction="green">
       <IncidentID name="csirt.example.com">897923</IncidentID>
         <RelatedActivity>
           <ThreatActor>
             <ThreatActorID>
             TA-12-AGGRESSIVE-BUTTERFLY
             </ThreatActorID>
             <Description>Aggressive Butterfly</Description>
           </ThreatActor>
           <Campaign>
             <CampaignID>C-2015-59405</CampaignID>
             <Description>Orange Giraffe</Description>
           </Campaign>
         </RelatedActivity>
         <GenerationTime>2015-10-02T11:18:00-05:00</GenerationTime>
         <Description>Summarizes the Indicators of Compromise
           for the Orange Giraffe campaign of the Aggressive
           Butterfly crime gang.
         </Description>
         <Assessment>
           <BusinessImpact type="breach-proprietary"/>
         </Assessment>
         <Contact type="organization" role="creator">
           <ContactName>CSIRT for example.com</ContactName>
           <Email>
             <EmailTo>[email-masked]</EmailTo>
           </Email>
         </Contact>
         <IndicatorData>
           <Indicator>
             <IndicatorID name="csirt.example.com" version="1">
             G90823490
             </IndicatorID>
             <Description>C2 domains</Description>
             <StartTime>2014-12-02T11:18:00-05:00</StartTime>
             <Observable>
               <BulkObservable type="domain-name">

Notes
-----
Neither the IODEF Data Model (XML Schema) in section 8 nor the main body in section 3.29.3.1 define a type named "fqdn" for the BulkObservable class.
Instead, section 3.29.3.1 states that the "domain-name" type is used to denote "A fully qualified domain name or part of a name (e.g., fqdn.example.com, example.com).". The XML schema agrees with that.

The example in section 7.2 was changed to comply with this definition.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7970 (draft-ietf-mile-rfc5070-bis-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Incident Object Description Exchange Format Version 2
Publication Date    : November 2016
Author(s)           : R. Danyliw
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Managed Incident Lightweight Exchange
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG