Subject: [Mip4] route optimisation and user privacy

From: "Niko A. Fikouras" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:32:42 +0200

I am looking into some user privacy considerations in the route 
optimization draft "draft-ietf-mobileip-optim-10.txt"

In section "3.1. Binding Caches", page 3 you will find:

"When a mobile node's home agent intercepts a datagram from the home
network and tunnels it to the mobile node, the home agent may deduce
that the original source of the datagram has no binding cache entry
for the destination mobile node.  The home agent SHOULD then send
a Binding Update message to the original source node, informing it
of the mobile node's current mobility binding."

In that case, I imagine, a malicious CN would be able to periodically or 
randomly query a home agent on a mobile node's whereabouts. Would it not 
be better if the HA sent a Binding Warning to the mobile node stating 
that the particular CN requires a Binding Update? In that case the MN 
would be in the position to decide to which CNs it wishes to reveal its 
position.

Best Regards
niko

_______________________________________________
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: "Jee J.Z." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:04:21 +0100

Hi Niko,

I think it will not introduce more sicurity vulnerabilities than non-route optimization cases. A MN could set the 'P' bit in the registration request to the HA to make its care of address secret, but when the MN does not set the 'P' bit, it means the MN does not care disclosing its mobility binding. In this case, any node knowing its current address can reach it, as it is on its home network. 

Regards,
Jee
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Niko A. Fikouras 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:32 PM
  Subject: [Mip4] route optimisation and user privacy

  Best Regards
  niko