Subject: [Mip4] [Issue] draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment: Missing information

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:21:34 +0200

Hi,

	The mechanism outlined in this draft is in many cases a little
bit too simple, in this respect: 

A HA deployed in a network of public addresses, serving a home network
with public addresses, may be able to make do with one single
identifying address, a public address by which it is known by a MN both
when the MN is at home and when it is away, roaming.

However, many (most?) deployments today sports HAs with two interfaces;
one towards the public internet and one towards the home network. The MN
has to know both of these, in order to identify when it is on the home
network (home link) and direct it's (de) registration to the HA when
coming home.

The mechanism propsed in -01 of this drafts only communicates one
addresss (the public one) to the MN; there is no provision for
communicating the HA address on the home network when that is different
from the public address.

The simplest way of addressing this concern would be to provide the HA
home network interface address in an extension.

Furthermore, in that case, one might raise the question of maybe
providing both public and private address in the extension (but this
point is not particularly important).

	Regards,	
		Henrik