Subject: [Mip4] MIPv4/MIPv6-IPv4/IPv6 interaction bar-bof

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:36:57 +0100

Proposal of a bar-bof
---------------------

With the coming (we hope) of heterogenous deployment of IPv4 and IPv6
access and transport networks, and Mobile Nodes with MIPv4 and/or MIPv6
capability and IPv4 and/or IPv6 stacks, the question has been raised
of how to best run Mobile IP in such circumstances, and some solutions
has been proposed.  

The "trivial cases" of MIP4 carrying IPv4 in an all-IPv4 network, and
MIP6 carrying IPv6 in an all-IPv6 network are covered in the MIPv4 and
MIPv6 standards.  But by one way of counting, that still leaves about 6
combinations (14 if you count NAT-PT versions) which may occur in
practice which are not covered by the current standards.  A number of
drafts (some mentioned below) has been written, proposing solutions
to some of these cases.

Some cases may be handled without any additional MIP work if other
transition mechanisms such as e.g. ISATAP is available, but as a Mobile
Node may be expected to come across all conceivable kinds of visited
networks, it cannot rely on any particular other transition mechanism
being in place.

Below is a list of possible combinations of Host IP stack version, MIP
client/agent version and transport network IP version, followed by a
short summary of my understanding of where the current and proposed
solutions fit in.  There exist 8 similar combinations using NAT-PT
which are not explicitly listed here.

Which solutions will be needed? Which should we work on?  How much
interest does this have currently?  

We plan to hold a bar-bof in Seoul, to see how many show up, and what
kind of interest there is in this subject.  Place will be announced
on the lists Monday March 1st, and in the MIP4 and MIP6 sessions.

	Henrik

Table of MIP4/6-IP4/6 combinations:
===================================

#	MN's		MIP		Access	Transpt	Short description
	IP-stack	Client		Net	& HA if.	
---	--------	------		------	-------	-----------------
1	IPv4		MIP v4		IP v4	v4	"native MIPv4"	
2	IPv6		  "		  "	v4	"IPv6 in MIPv4"	

3	IPv4		MIP v6		  "	v4	"IPv4 in MIPv6 over IPv4"
4	IPv6		  "		  "	v4	"MIPv6 over IPv4"

5	IPv4		MIP v4		IP v6	v6	"MIPv4 over IPv6"
6	IPv6		  "		  "	v6	"IPv6 in MIPv4 over IPv6"

7	IPv4		MIP v6		  "	v6	"IPv4 in MIPv6"
8	IPv6		  "		  "	v6	"native MIPv6"
---	--------	------		------	-------	-----------------

  Variant 1 is the native IP/MIP combination for v4

  Variant 2 would be supported by the MIPv4 signalling extensions proposed in
	    draft-tsirtsis-v4v6-mipv4-00.txt

  Variant 5 is known to be supported by an experimental thesis implementation
	    and is fairly simple

  Variant 6 is known to be supported by an experimental thesis implementation
	    and is fairly simple

  Variant 7 would be supported by the MIPv6 signalling extensions proposed in
	    draft-soliman-v4v6-mipv4-00.txt

  Variant 8 is the native IP/MIP combination for v6

-- 
	Henrik

-- 
  Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. 
  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. 
    -- Groucho Marx

-- 
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 02:11:42 +0100

Bar-bof details:

We have a proposed time and place for this bar-bof: 

	Tuesday morning 7:00  - in the seating area outside Emerald.  

Possibly we can use Emerald if more people turn up than the area can
hold.

The first idea of having it Monday night at 10:00 has been scrapped as
some key persons who are newly arrived from the states will be dead on
their feet at that time. 

	Henrik

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/