Subject: [Mip4] Negotiating maximum packet size (draft-vaarala-mip4-fragmtu-00)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:44:34 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Here's a short draft on how the MN and the HA can negotiate the
maximum packet size used for IP-IP or IP-over-UDP encapsulation.

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vaarala-mip4-fragmtu-00.txt

Although RFC 3519 already specifies that you first fragment and
then encapsulate, the maximum size of encapsulated UDP packets
is implementation specific (most likely link MTU).

We've run into some configurations where a box is configured to
drop packets larger than a certain size even when DF is unset.
Limiting packet size helped, but cannot be controlled using a
policy in the HA (for instance).  The intent of the mechanism in
the draft is to make this possible.

Has anyone else run into similar issues in practice?  Any
feedback is appreciated.

Best,

-Sami
-- 
Sami Vaarala
http://www.hut.fi/~svaarala 

-- 
Mip4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4