Subject: [Mip4] Summary of last call comments on the dynamic HA assignment draft

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 02:27:57 +0100

Hi,

    The Workgroup last last call period for 
draft-ietf-mip4-dynamic-assignment-00.txt ended on February 13th.

There was only one commenter which explicitly said that he supported
the advancement of this draft, which is very meager.  However, the
comments sparked of a bit of discussion, which indicated at least some
more people having interest in this draft.  It's till hard to count
one explicit comment as Consensus.

The comments made on the draft was as follows:

 * The extension which carries the address of the assigned HA should not
   only carry the public but also possibly the private address of the
   HA, to make it possible (under some premises) to identify the home
   network. 
   
   This received a fair amount of response on the list, and the
   originator changed his point of view.  This issue does not require
   further resolution.

 * The extension which carries the address of the assigned HA should 
   be defined to have a subtype, and conform to the format recommended
   in RFC 3344, section 1.9 .  It is also good to align the HA address
   on a 4-octet boundary.

 * Should an FA be permitted to forward a registration request to a
   _different_ unicast address than the one specified by the MN in the
   request?  It was suggested that this not be done, or strict
   conditions specified on when it may be done.

 * It was suggested that using the HA ALL-ZERO-ONE-ADDR as a sole
   indicator of dynamic HA assignment is maybe too blunt; the use of an
   extension to indicate this capability, and possibly additional flags,
   was mentioned.

In view of the low level of explicitly expressed support and the
presence of unresolved last call issues as well as some issues raised in
the wg chair review, we will do another iteration on the document in the
workgroup and then hold a new workgroup last call.  As the authors have
indicated that they already have proposed solutions to the issues raised,
this should hopefully be a fast cycle.

	Henrik