Subject: [Mip4] [issue44] RFC 3344 - Source Address of the RRQ [Issue]

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:36:28 +0000

This has been entered in the issue tracker as issue 44.

owner: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>:

category: Technical
draft: draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis
priority: Must fix
status: No discussion
title: RFC 3344 - Source Address of the RRQ [Issue]

RFC 3344:
Section 3.7.2.2. Forwarding a Valid Request to the Home Agent

"Specific fields within the IP header and the UDP header of the
   relayed Registration Request MUST be set as follows:
      IP Source Address
               The foreign agent's address on the interface from which
               the message will be sent."

Per the above the text, the foreign agent is required to send the RRQ
with the source address of the outgoing interface and this essentially
conflicts with RFC 3519 (NAT Traversal) requirement. Per 3519, the
foreign agent is required to set the source address of the RRQ to its
care-of address, so that the home agent does not detect NAT incorrectly.
The logic of NAT detection at the home agent is by comparing the source
address of the RRQ to the care-of address in the RRQ's MIP header. So,
we need to fix the text in 3344. There is no reason why the foreign agent
MUST set the source address of the RRQ to the IP address of its outgoing
interface. We should infact enforce the foreign agent to set the source
address of the RRQ to the FA care of address.
_________________________________________________
Mip4 issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/mip4/issue44>
_________________________________________________

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/