Subject: Re: [Mip6] RE: [Mip4] tying flow movement to MIP RE: [Mipshop] Minutes of Multiple Lin k Flows BAR BOF

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:14:04 +0100

On Wednesday, 19 Nov 2003, Pete wrote:

[...]
>  > 
>  > I'm not at all sure that the reasoning about IPv4 address scarcity
>  > holds water.  MIPv4 works with both HoAs and CoAs being private, behind
>  > NATs (even if we don't like'em... :)  
> 
> Yes, but we may need to solve this problem for public IPv4 addresses,
> depending on the deployment scenarios.

True.

[...]
>  > 
>  > I don't think we can assume neither that the same service provder is
>  > providing service on all CoAs, nor that there is only one HA. If public
>  > WLAN hotspots vs. cellular vs. corporate WLAN is a typical scenario, 
>  > I'd say it's actually quite unlikely.
> 
> I wasn't thinking of multiple service providers, I was just trying to
> find a cheap and easy way to support multiple sessions even on a
> single HA.  The problem with a single NAI is that it becomes
> impossible to distinguish a retransmission from a request for a new
> session (IP home address).  So we need something like a session ID, or
> a convention for multiple sessions within the NAI namespace.

Agreed.

> Such a technique would also allow each flow to be homed on a different
> home agent, as you point out, which might be needed for additional
> flexibility.  However, all the subsequent posts about HA redundancy,
> etc, have gotten way off topic and are missing my point entirely.

Yup. 

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:32:15 +0100

Monday 17 November 2003, Hesham wrote:

> => Sure, I'm not sure what "less general" means though. 

I was refering back to what I wrote earlier in this thread:

"The cost of this solution is in having to do re-registration of multiple
sessions when you move, but such a cost is already implicit in the fact
that with multiple connections through different connection media you
have to be able to handle each media individually, whether it is by
separate sessions or by filter adaptations.  But I believe completely
separate sessions will adapt better to any other non-movement-specific
solution to multihoming that may appear."

	Henrik