Subject: [Mip4] Call For Papers - Broadband Access Communications Technologies - Abstracts Due 20 March 2006

From: "Raj Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:50:14 -0600

Call for Papers and Announcement

Broadband Access Communication Technologies (IT404)

Part of SPIE’s International Symposium on Optics East 2006
1-4 October 2006 • Boston Marriott Copley Place • Boston, MA, USA

Conference Chairs: Raj Jain, Washington Univ. in St. Louis; Benjamin B.
Dingel, Nasfine Photonics, Inc.; Shozo Komaki, Osaka Univ. (Japan); Shlomo
Ovadia, Intel Corp.

Program Committee: Arjan Durresi, Louisiana State Univ.; David W. Faulkner,
British Telecom Research Labs. (United Kingdom); Mahbub Hassan, Univ. of New
South Wales (Australia); Mohsen Kavehrad, The Pennsylvania State Univ.;
Rangaraj Madabhushi, Madabhushi Consultants, LLC and Covega Corp.; Dalma
Novak, The Univ. of Melbourne (Australia); Jean-Charles Point, JCP-Consult
(France); Ken-ichi Sato, Nagoya Univ. (Japan); Katsutoshi Tukamoto, Osaka
Univ. (Japan); Peter Van Daele, Univ. Gent (Belgium); Jeroen S. Wellen,
Lucent Technologies (Netherlands)

Preliminary list of confirmed invited speakers:
• Victor Bahl (Microsoft, Keynote Speaker) on Topic: TBD
• Vince Pizzica (Alcatel Asia Pacific) on Developments and  Trends in
Broadband Communications in the Pacific Rim
• Peter Van Daele (IMEC-Ghent University, Belgium) on  BREAD: EU
Coordination Action for Broadband for All
• Koji Yasukawa (Osaka Inst. of Technology, Japan) on  Broadband Access
Project (SCOPE) supported by Govt.
• Jose Puthenkulam (Intel) on Mobile WiMAX (802.16e)
• Mohseh Kavehrad (Pennsylvania State Univ.) on Fractal Transmission in
Hybrid RF and Wireless Optical Links
• Mung Chiang (Princeton Univ.) on FAST Copper for Broadband Access

Special Joint-Session with Optical Transmission Systems and Equipment for
Networking VI (IT402):
Preliminary list of confirmed invited speakers
• Vincent Chan (MIT) on Future Integrated Broadband   Fiber, Wireless and
Satellite
• Junichi Kani (NTT Access Network Service Systems Lab.,  Japan) on Recent
Advances in Optical Access Technologies

Preliminary list of technical tutorial speaker(s):
• Raj Jain (Washington Univ. in St. Louis) on Hot Issues in Wireless
Broadband
• Speaker (TBD) on Network Security in Broadband Access

Proceedings for this conference will be available at the meeting.
Manuscripts for on-site proceedings are due by 10 July 2006. In order to
satisfy the growing demand of end-customers for fast Internet access, new
multimedia services, and rapid interactive applications, all
telecommunications networks (switched telephony, data transmission, cable
television, and power line, wireless networks) operators are under intense
pressure to solve the “last-mile connection” problem. This problem is not
only the need for (1) huge broadband in one direction but also for (2) high
speed two-way connectivity, and (3) mobile access as opposed to traditional
fixed access.

Major existing access technologies based on copper (xDSL), cable modem
(CATV), and satellites (SAT) are rapidly evolving to partially answer these
needs. New emerging access technologies such as fiber (FTTH), power line
transport (PL), wireless (WLL), and Radio-over-Fiber (RoF) are increasingly
being researched, developed and deployed since they offer huge broadband
potential and mobility. This conference addresses (but not limited) to
following topics:

Copper-, Cable-, and Powerline-based Broadband Access Technologies
• DSL and its hybrids (xDSL, aDSL, vDSL, DSLAM, etc)
-DSL components, equipment in support of Mbps rate
-network architectures & scalability
• CATV technologies and networks
- advanced components, equipment, architectures for multiple access, HFC
network, transmission transport -optical WDM transmission issues and
performances
-multi-channel video systems, alternatives modulation,

Optical SCM systems and performance
• Powerline access technologies
- performance, operational and economic issues
- noise, EMC, and security issues

• IP network, VOIP, IPTV
-operational, standards, and economic issues
- triple play services and deployments.

Optical Broadband Access Technologies
• Fiber-in-the-Loop (FITL), FTTP, FTTH, FTTC, HFC, etc.
- advanced components, optical fiber and equipment,
- next Gen PON (WDM–, CWDM-PON technologies)
-techno-economic analysis, trials, and test-beds
-emerging bandwidth allocation / sharing schemes

• Passive Optical Network (PON)–based Access technologies and deployments
(EPON, GPON, SuperPON, etc),
- advanced devices, optical fiber and equipment for PON
- improved optical technologies: filters, switching,
transmission and multiplexing,
- WLAN, others architectures for broadband distribution
-network design and optimization
-monitoring, management & control
- techno-economic analysis, Security in PON networks,

• 1G/10G Ethernet-based networks, Ethernet over First Mile.

Radio-over-Fiber (RoF) Broadband Access Technologies
• RoF-based Access technologies and wireless networks
- advanced opto-electronics devices, components, optical fiber and equipment
for RoF-based Access, noise issues
-RF transmission in optical fiber, dispersion, Optical links
-Optical wireless and hybrid communication systems and network
(indoor/outdoor wireless architectures)
- backbone network architectures and networking
- techno-economic analysis and market studies.

Wireless Broadband Access Technologies
• Wireless Access technologies, components, and protocols
- Emerging and advanced components to support Wi-Fi, UWB, Bluetooth
- Peer-to-peer and mesh networking technologies
- Fixed and mobile WiMAX (802.16e) access technologies
- MIMO technologies for high-speed mobile users
- WLAN security issues, emerging protocols and standards
- High-speed WLAN (11n) technologies & components for mobile communication.

Satellite and Alternative Broadband Access Technologies
• Broadband satellite last-mile access solutions
- advanced microwave components, and equipment
-microwave antenna for mobile communication, etc.
-performance, availability, reliability issues
-next Gen test-beds demonstration

• 2-way connectivity and broadcast satellite services
- deployment, test-beds

• Free-space optics based systems, hybrid free-space and RF
- service control platforms and interfaces.

Network Security in Broadband Access Networks
• Security issues, sensing networks, monitoring technologies
- standards, protocols, control and performance.

Submission of Abstracts for Optics East 2006 Symposium

Abstract Due Date: 20 March 2006 On-Site Manuscript Due Date: 10 July 2006

Instructions for Submitting Abstracts via Web
http://spie.org/Conferences/calls/06/oe/submitAbstract/index.cfm?fuseaction=
IT404
 or

http://spie.org/events/oe (Look for IT404)

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/