Subject: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Dual Stack Mobile IPv4
	Author(s)	: G. Tsirtsis, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2006-8-15

   This specification provides IPv6 extensions to the Mobile IPv4
   protocol.  The extensions allow a dual stack node to use IPv4 and
   IPv6 home addresses as well as to move between IPv4 and dual stack
   network infrastructures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:46:21 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4
> Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> Title		: Dual Stack Mobile IPv4 Author(s)	: G. Tsirtsis, et al. 

Thanks for submitting.

And the Prefix Table?  An IPv4 data structure defined in
draft-ietf-nemo-v4-base-01.txt contains only IPv4 MNPs, should be
extended to contain IPv6 MNPs too.  The Prefix Table is used to check a
certain IPv4 HoA is allowed to use a certain IPv6 MNP (mobile network
prefix).  If no Prefix Table then there's no effective means to ensure this.

Alex

---

From: "Tsirtsis, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:08:37 -0700

A "prefix table" is an implementation thing is it not? If I am not
mistaken the dsmipv4 draft already contains the necessary SHOULDs/MUSTs
for the behavior you are looking for. Whether this is done based on a
table or something else is not a matter for the spec.

George

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:46 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4-00.txt
>

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:22:55 +0200

> table or something else is not a matter for the spec.

I agree that "table" sounds like an implementation variable, which could 
be represented as a "list" too, etc.

Can I write then about this paragraph:
>    The home agent SHOULD check that all IPv6 packets received from the
>    mobile client over a tunnel from the home address or the care-of
>    address, include a source address that falls under the registered
>    IPv6 prefix(es) for that mobile client.

With Mobile IPv6 NEMOv6 the Home Address of the MR does not necessarily 
fall under the registered IPv6 prefix (HoA can be different than MNP). 
One wouldn't want the moving networks implemented with DS-MIPv4 (instead 
of NEMOv6 over UDP tunnel) to lack this HoA-MNP dissociation.

Alex

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:28:40 -0700

in RFC 3963, the Prefix Table is a conceptual data structure.

Vijay

---

From: "Tsirtsis, George" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:06:00 -0700

DSMIPv4 supports the same functionality. The quoted text talks about "a
source address that falls under the registered IPv6 prefix(es)".

This wording I assumed, covered all the registered HoAs with any length
prefix (including a prefix of 128).

If this is not clear I can add a clarification.

Thanks
George

> Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:23 PM
> To: Tsirtsis, George