Subject: [Mip4] OT: pronunciation question (Nagle)

From: Gregory Woodhouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:10:36 -0700

I really hate to bother you with such a pronunciation question like  
this, especially since it has nothing to do with mobile IP, but I've  
been giving a series of informal "lectures" to WorldVistA on IP  
networking, and I just now completed the third, where I introduce the  
topic of TCP state machine and its version of the sliding window  
protocol. So far, I've only had time to talk about the original  
algorithm (i.e, I haven't talked about the Nagle algorithm, much Karn/ 
Partridge or Jacobson/Karels). It's a good thing, too, because I  
realize I haven't the faintest idea of how to pronounce John Nagle's  
name! I guess I always assumed it was pronounced with /i/ as the  
final sound (something like "ably"), but then I realized the final  
'e' might be silent (meaning it's pronunciation was closer to the  
English "table").

Gregory Woodhouse
[email-masked]

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
--Attributed to Confucius, 500 BCE

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:37:21 +0200

Err... if nobody here replies, maybe people on the end2end mailing list
have seen many other authoritative people speaking publicly about
Nagle's algorithm... maybe John himself.  Check there.

I'm pronouncing it as in "finagle" or as in "bagel".  But I'm not a
native speaker, and probably never heard a native speaker pronouncing it.

Now, should we use Nagle's algorithm for re-transmitting MIP4 messaging
(RegReq and RegRep)?

Alex

Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
> algorithm (i.e, I haven't talked about the Nagle algorithm, much 
> Karn/Partridge or Jacobson/Karels). It's a good thing, too, because I
> Gregory Woodhouse [email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.