Subject: [Mip4] Questions on draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode-04.txt

From: "Ee Haow Koh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:29:10 -0700

Hi Kent,

At this point, I am a bit unclear about the compatibility between proxy MIP 
and multiple interfaces and/or simultaneous binding.

For example, if a MD moves out of a PMIP location serviced by a 802.11 PMA 
and has to rely on a WiMax or CMDA dialup connection to maintain 
connectivity, the upper layer would have to reestablish another TCP session 
through the other adapter. Can PMIP account for this scenario?

Another example, if a MD stays in a network where it has a dialed up CDMA 
adapter and another 802.11 adapter, and they are both registered. If a 
handoff occurs between these two adapters, wouldn't there be a L3 connection 
loss anyway despite the PMIP service on both these networks?

Regards,
Howie 

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Confidential and/ or privileged information may be contained in this
e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it ('Message'). If you are
not the addressee indicated in this Message (or responsible for 
delivery of this Message to such person),you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this Message or
any part thereof is prohibited. Please delete this Message if received 
in  error and advise the sender by return e-mail. Opinions, conclusions
and other information in this Message that do not relate to the 
official business of this company shall be understood as neither given
nor endorsed by this company.

This mail is certified Virus Free by *ProtectNow! (InternetNow Sdn Bhd) 
*Scanner Engine powered by Norman Virus Control

\--------------------------------------------------------------------------/

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:41:26 -0800

Hi Howie.  The base PMIPv4 draft will just provides the extensions that
may be used in the signaling to set up forwarding based on the access
network type.  The details of how WiMAX PMIP and CDMA MIP (or between
any two access types) handover is supported between the mobile device
and PMA is implementation dependent and out of scope.  As for your
question on how TCP session can be maintained, I expect that would
require the mobile device to use the same IP address for this type of
handover to be supported.  This likely requires some enhancements on the
device.  Though from the protocol perspective, PMIPv4 is about signaling
between the PMA and HA, which sets up forwarding for the IP address of
the device.  Another method of PMIP use is what you mentioned, each
adaptor has its own IP address and mobility is only within the same
access type (i.e. no handover across access types).

Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: Ee Haow Koh [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 5:29 PM
To: Kent Leung (kleung)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Questions on draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode-04.txt

Hi Kent,

At this point, I am a bit unclear about the compatibility between proxy
MIP and multiple interfaces and/or simultaneous binding.

For example, if a MD moves out of a PMIP location serviced by a 802.11
PMA and has to rely on a WiMax or CMDA dialup connection to maintain
connectivity, the upper layer would have to reestablish another TCP
session through the other adapter. Can PMIP account for this scenario?

Another example, if a MD stays in a network where it has a dialed up
CDMA adapter and another 802.11 adapter, and they are both registered.
If a handoff occurs between these two adapters, wouldn't there be a L3
connection loss anyway despite the PMIP service on both these networks?

Regards,
Howie 

/-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----\

Confidential and/ or privileged information may be contained in this
e-mail and any attachments transmitted with it ('Message'). If you are
not the addressee indicated in this Message (or responsible for delivery
of this Message to such person),you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, printing or copying of this Message or any
part thereof is prohibited. Please delete this Message if received in
error and advise the sender by return e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this Message that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by this company.

\-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---/