Subject: [Mip4] draft-chakrabarti-mip4-mcbc-02.txt submitted

From: "Samita Chakrabarti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:11:28 -0800

A revised version of the draft-chakrabarti-mip4-mcbc has been submitted.

It includes comments received at the Chicago IETF mip4 wg meeting (from
Kent and Henrik).

More comments/suggestions for improvement are welcome to the authors of
the draft.

Thanks,

-Samita

Abstract:

The IP Mobility Protocol [RFC3344] describes multicast and broadcast
packet transmission between the mobile node and the home network or
visited network.  Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP [RFC3024] includes
support for reverse tunneling of multicast and broadcast packets to the
home network using the encapsulating delivery style between mobile nodes
and the foreign agent.  However, [RFC3024] says that once the
encapsulated delivery style is negotiated, all packets must be
encapsulated.  In particular, this imposition prevents direct delivery
of unicast packets.  This causes tunnel overhead in the

(typically) wireless medium between the mobile and the foreign agent.

This document removes this imposition It also provides alternatives of
direct delivery of multicast-broadcast packets between a foreign agent
and a mobile node if allowed by the underlying link-layer.

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/