Subject: [Mip4] Reminder: IWSOS 2009 paper submission now open, deadline approaching!

From: "Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:43:54 +0200

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    *** Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP ***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Colleagues,

The submission deadline for IFIP IWSOS 2009 (4th International Workshop on
Self-Organized Systems), to be held at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, December
9-11, is quickly approaching:

Regular Papers (12 pages): **July 10, 2009** 

Short Papers (6 pages): August 14, 2009
                                       
The submission website is now open and accepting submissions:
http://senldogo0039.springer-sbm.com/IWSOS2009/servlet/Conference
(The proceedings will be published by Springer-Verlag in their Lecture Notes
in Computer Science (LNCS) series)

Please, find attached the conference CFP below. More information can be
found at http://www.iwsos2009.ethz.ch/index.html  

Best Regards,

Bernhard Plattner (General Chair)
Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos (Program Co-Chair) 
Karin Anne Hummel (Program Co-Chair)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS: 4th IFIP International Workshop on Self-Organized Systems
(IWSOS 2009)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be held at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, December 9-11

*Workshop Scope*

IWSOS 2009 is the fourth workshop in a series of annual workshops dedicated
to self-organization in networks and networked systems. The necessity for
and expected benefit of self-organization is caused by the growing scale,
complexity, and heterogeneity of future networked systems, like the future
Internet. Future networks will form complex networks integrating wired and
wireless infrastructures with mobile ad-hoc, and sensor networks that could
be spontaneously deployed in hostile environments, have a dynamic population
and a potentially short life time. In spite of this, there will be stringent
user requirements, such as high availability and real-time guarantees.
Although self-organization is desirable for these kinds of networks, it is
not yet clear to what extent self-organization can be exploited.

Research into networked systems started a few years ago to systematically
investigate self-organization and has lead to a multitude of open research
issues. The applicability of well-known self-organizing techniques to
specific networks and networked systems is being investigated, as well as
adaptations and novel approaches inspired by cooperation in nature and
evolutionary dynamics, sociology, and game theory. Additionally, models
originating from areas like control theory and complex systems research, are
being applied to networked systems to analyze their controllability and
behavior. Aspects of engineering self-organizing networked systems are
studied that draw on approaches like programmable networks, and tools and
frameworks for deploying, testing, and monitoring self-organizing networks.
The role of self-organization in the future Internet and the impact on its
architecture is an important topic, as well as the application of
self-organization in future intelligent transportation systems and vehicular
ad-hoc networks.

Building on the success of its predecessors, this workshop aims at bringing
together leading international researchers to create a visionary forum for
discussing the future of self-organization in networked systems. Topics
include, but are not limited to the following.

*Key Topics*

- Self-organization and self-management
- Self-configuration and self-optimization
- Self-protection, -diagnosis, and -healing
- Applications, e.g. the self-organizing home network
- Self-organization in peer-to-peer, sensor, ad-hoc and vehicular networks
- Control theory based models and approaches to self-organization
- Applications of game theory for self-organization
- Bio-inspired and socially inspired models of self-organization
- Group-forming networks and techniques
- Programmable and cognitive networks as a basis for self-organization
- Visualization of network state
- Self-organization for Quality of Service
- Resilience, robustness and fault tolerance for networked systems
- Security in self-organizing networked systems
- Self-organization in heterogeneous network convergence
- Evolutionary principles of the (future, emerging) Internet
- Self-configuring place-and-play sensor/mobile networks
- Methods for configuration and management of large, complex networks
- Risks of self-organization
- The human in the loop of self-organizing networks

*Paper Submission*
  
IWSOS invites submission of manuscripts as full or short papers that present
original research results, and that have not been previously published or
are currently under review by another conference or journal. Any previous or
simultaneous publication of related material should be explicitly noted in
the submission. All papers must be submitted in PDF format. Submissions will
be peer reviewed by at least three members of the international TPC and
judged on originality, significance, interest, clarity, relevance, and
correctness.

Click here (http://www.iwsos2009.ethz.ch/index.html) for detailed
information for authors.

*Full Papers*

Submissions should be full-length papers up to 12 pages using the LNCS
style, including all figures and references, and must include an abstract of
100-150 words.

*Short Papers*

Submissions should be position papers, challenging papers, and papers
presenting first or late results up to 6 pages length (LNCS style, including
all figures and references), and must include an abstract of 100-150 words.

*Proceedings*

The proceedings will be published by Springer-Verlag in their Lecture Notes
in Computer Science (LNCS) series. At least one of the authors of each
accepted paper must attend IWSOS 2009 to present the paper.

*Posters and Demonstrations*

To complement the main technical programme of IWSOS 2009, we are soliciting
extended abstracts (up to two pages, LNCS style) that describe posters and
demonstrations that will be presented at an informal session during the
workshop. This session should provide a platform to present and discuss
work-in-progress and demonstrations. The abstracts will be collected and
made available at the event.