Subject: [Mip4] ACM WUWNet'11: submission deadline postponed to Sep. 19

From: Bridget Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 19:57:30 -0400

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies.]

Due to the severe aftermath of hurricane Irene, the paper submission
deadline has been postponed to September 19, 2011. Note that this is
a FIRM deadline. No further extensions will be granted.

WUWNet'11: The Sixth ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks
http://wuwnet.org/

December 1-2, 2011

Seattle, WA, USA

CALL FOR PAPERS

The oceans cover 71% of the Earth's surface and represent one of the least
explored frontiers; yet, the oceans are integral to climate regulation,
nutrient production, oil retrieval, and transportation. Also, water systems
in general are of vital importance to life on Earth and commerce. For these
reasons, there is significant interest in monitoring aquatic environments
for scientific, environmental, commercial, safety, and military purposes.

WUWNet is the premier venue for early work bringing real-time, in-situ
sensing and actuation to this aquatic world. The goal of this workshop is to
bring together researchers and practitioners in areas relevant to underwater
networks. Thus, many layers of the communication stack - from the physical
layer to the application layer - will be represented. The objective is to
serve as a forum for presenting state-of-the-art research, for exchanging
ideas and experiences, and for facilitating interaction and collaboration.

The workshop will span two days, including presentations of technical
papers, a keynote talk, a panel, and a poster/demo session. The scope of the
WUWNet workshop covers a broad range of research directions related to
underwater systems including communications, networking, system integration,
and vehicle coordination. Specific topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

-  Underwater network architectures
-  Efficient underwater communications, with techniques from the physical
layer to the application layer
-  Cooperative underwater communications, including, PHY, MAC, routing, and
data transfer
-  Services for underwater systems, such as localization, time
synchronization, reliable data transfer, security
-  Subsea communication for underwater vehicles (gliders, submersibles,
etc.)
-  Coordination algorithms for underwater vehicles and sensor nodes, or
human operator interaction
-  Modeling, simulation, and testbeds for underwater systems
-  Applications that broadly address subsea networks, including coordinated
vehicle systems
-  Experimental results from underwater networking trials
-  Application requirements for underwater networks presented by end users

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Submissions for technical papers must describe original research, not
published or currently under review for other workshops, conferences,
journals, or magazines.

All papers will be reviewed by the program committee for novelty and
contribution. The workshop accepts two types of papers: full and short.
Short papers may represent less mature work than full papers, or may contain
new ideas for future research. Full papers should be more complete in their
treatment of the topic. All accepted papers, full and short, will be
published in the workshop proceedings.

Paper submission will be handled electronically. Authors should prepare a
PDF version of their papers. The page limit for full papers is 8 pages, and
that for short papers is 5 pages in standard ACM conference format. Please
see the workshop website for definitive formatting guidelines and sample
templates.

Furthermore, this year WUWNet will also have a Demo/Doctoral
Symposium, which will provide a forum for both graduate and undergraduate
students working on research topics relevant to WUWNet to discuss their
goals, methods, and results at an early stage in their research. A 2-page
extended abstract (in standard ACM conference format, with the student as
first author) must be submitted by the deadline provided below.

Last, but not least, a call for work-in-progress posters and demos will be
announced separately.

IMPORTANT DATES

Paper registration:       September 19, 2011
Paper submission:         September 19, 2011
Acceptance notification:  October 14, 2011
Camera-ready date:        November 4, 2011
Workshop date:            December 1-2, 2011

Demo/Doctoral Symposium extended abstract submission:    September 30, 2011
Demo/Doctoral Symposium acceptance notification:        October 14, 2011
Student travel grant submission:                    October 21, 2011
Student travel grant notification:                    October 28, 2011

ORGANIZERS

General Chairs:
Payman Arabshahi (Univ. of Washington)
Jun-Hong Cui (Univ. of Connecticut)

Program Committee Chairs:
Qilian Liang (UT Arlington)
Dario Pompili (Rutgers Univ.)
Sumit Roy (Univ. of Washington)