Subject: [Mip6] MIPv6 issue #197, I-D version -20.txt

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 07:40:36 -0800

Regarding Appendix B.5 of the MIPv6 I-D (version -24.txt), if the MN
obtains a list of HAs using anycast (RFC 2526) for dynamic HA discovery,
won't it have to know the prefix (and prefix length) of its home subnet
in order to properly format the anycast address? If so, why is the
procedure defined in Appendix B.5 of the MIPv6 I-D limited to the
situation where the home prefix is 64 bits? Thanks.

Pete

NOTE: Original issue discussed in MIPv6 issue #197, I-D version -20.txt.

=======

http://users.piuha.net/jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue197.txt

Vijay Devarapalli responds to Jari Arkko:

> - Configure one home address based on the selected home
>   agent's subnet prefix and the interface identifier of the
>   mobile node.

I am not sure the above step will work. the MN does not know the 
prefix length of the home agent's subnet prefix. so it cannot 
figure out the home prefix based on just the home agent's address.

right?

-----

Jari Arkko responds to Vijay Devaparalli: Right, but I'm not sure I
see a way around this. I'll add a note to the beginning of B.5:

   "This procedure is restricted to those situations where the
    home prefix is 64 bits and the mobile node knows its own interface
    identifier of also 64 bits."

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:36:27 -0800

hi Pete,

appendix B.5 assumes the mobile node knows neither the home prefix
nor the prefix length of the home prefix.

for the Home Agents anycast address, it says

    2.  Query DNS for an anycast address associated with the FQDN of the
        home agent(s).

the mobile node does not construct the anycast address by itself.

Appendix B.5 is just a suggestion. I dont think anyone has
implemented it.

Vijay