Subject: [Mip6] Comments on draft-deng-mip6-bootstrap-bcf-00.txt

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:44:28 -0800

Hello,

Here are my comments on deng-mip6-bootstrap-bcf.

As I understand, the essence of the proposal is to bootstrap MIP6
information from a centralized server (BCF). BCF is on-link with the
potential HAs.

I think Figure 2 is missing the step where the AAA (or, BCF?) and the
selected HA signaling takes place. I think a AAA interface like the one
proposed in yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk is needed here.

I couldn't understand why steps 4 and 5 are separate. Why not combine
them?

I think the proposal/implementation would be simplified if BCF is
co-located with each HA. That way, we can still have the load-balancing
(HA redirects) but allocation of HoA is simpler. We wouldn't need a
BCF-HA protocol anymore.

Alper

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:56:53 +0800

Hi, Alper,

Thank you for your comments.

>information from a centralized server (BCF). BCF is on-link with the
Yes, BCF should be on-link with potential HAs.

>proposed in yegin-mip6-aaa-fwk is needed here.
um...yes, currently we have not considered much about BCF HA signaling.
We will consider in next version.

>
>I couldn't understand why steps 4 and 5 are separate. Why not combine them?

I think we separate steps 4 and 5 for the following reason. We think BCF can
co-located with one/each HA in some scenarios, and in such scenarios, step 5
(Handover message) may not be neccessary in bootstrap procedure, because BCF
is HA itself.

>I think the proposal/implementation would be simplified if BCF is
co-located
>with each HA. That way, we can still have the load-balancing (HA redirects)
>but allocation of HoA is simpler. We wouldn't need a BCF-HA protocol
>anymore.
In our draft, BCF is an abstract entity, and it can co-locate with HA in
practice.
Yes, bootstrap will be simplified with BCF co-locating with each HA/one HA.