Subject: RE: [Mip6] RR Security and DNS HA Discovery

From: Gerardo Giaretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:55:45 +0100

Hi Alex,

> > All I want to point out is that dynamic HA assignment via insecure 
> > DNS poses additional risk when compared to the case  of static (or 
> > secured) HA assignment  during bootstrapping.
> 
> HA assignment during bootstrapping relates to HAs on same link, I hope
> I'm not wrong on this one.
>

I'm not sure I got your point. What do you mean by "on same link"?
During bootstrapping, the HA could be assigned anywhere, both in the
visited domain and back in the home domain. 

--Gerardo

> Alex

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to 
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:52:17 +0100

Hi Gerardo,

Gerardo Giaretta wrote:
>> HA assignment during bootstrapping relates to HAs on same link, I 
>> hope I'm not wrong on this one.
> 

Oh?  Both in the visited _and_ in the home?  Assigning a HA in a
different domain at each bootstrap implies that MN is no longer
reachable at its previously assigned HA's Home Address.  After only two
such alternating bootstraps the MN is no longer reachable at its
permanent DNS name either (MN bootstrapping is too frequent an operation
to be allowed to do DNS updates I think).

Anyways, I think my point was that if the MN is to continue using a
unique same HoA between bootstraps, the assigned HA should be on a same
unique link (there may be several HAs on that link, and the assigned HA
may be any of these HAs).  I think... or I may miss something.

Alex