Subject: [Mip6] Comments on draft-kempf-mip6-ha-alert-00

From: Gerardo Giaretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:26:58 +0100

Hi James,

first of all, I completely agree we need such a feature in MIP6. Just
two brief comments before the discussion during MIP6 session:

- I think it could be useful that the HAU includes a "remaining
lifetime" field. What I expect is that for a short period of time (if
possible) the MN is served by two Home Agents (i.e. the new and the old
one), ending the communications it has in place using the old HoA and
starting new applications using the new HoA. The remaining lifetime
information could be useful for the MN in order to implement this smooth
change between the old and the new HA. Does this make sense? 

- as you mention, this draft have impacts also in bootstrapping problem
since the MN is expected to bootstrap again when its HA is unavailable.
This could be an important issue for solutions based on AAA and tied to
network access authentication (e.g. EAP, PANA) since the MN will not be
able to bootstrap until he performs a (re)authentication for network
access.

--Gerardo

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to 
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:51:55 -0800

Gerardo,

Thanx for the comments.

jak>>> Yes. We'll look at this for the next draft version.

jak>>> Any suggestions about how this might impact the HA Unavailability
message?

            jak