Subject: [Mip6] ACM WUWNet'06: advance registration is this Thursday

From: Wei Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:30:00 -0700

Our apologies if you have received multiple copies.

-----------------------------------------------------

      The First ACM International Workshop on
         UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2006)
           http://wuwnet.engr.uconn.edu/

        In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2006
                September 25, 2006
           Los Angeles, California, USA

            Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE

             Technical Co-Sponsorship:
         IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society

            Financial Support From:
           Boeing, DARPA, MIT SeaGrant, NSF

-----------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

WUWNet 2006 is the first international workshop on
underwater networks in the networking and communications
community. The final program comprises 3 invited talks,
10 full technical paper presentations, a poster/demo
session including short papers, work-in-progress posters
and demos, and a fascinating panel entitled "Underwater 
Networks: Methods, Systems, and Applications".

Advance registration (on-line, mail, fax) deadline is 
Thursday, Sep. 14, 2006. To register for the workshop, 
please visit:

http://www.sigmobile.org/mobicom/2006/registration.html

After Sep. 14, you can only register on site.

TENTATIVE PROGRAM
=================

07:00-08:30 Registration/Breakfast

08:30-08:40 Welcome Address

08:40-09:40 Tutorials
(Session Chair: Milica Stojanovic, MIT/WHOI)

* Acoustic Propagation Considerations for Underwater Acoustic
Communications Network Development
James Preisig (WHOI)

* Modulation and Demodulation Techniques for Underwater
Acoustic Communications
John Proakis (UCSD)

* State-of-the-Art in Protocol Research for Underwater
Sensor Networks
Ian Akyildiz (Georgia Institute of Technology)

09:40-10:40 Session 1:  Systems
(Session Chair: Jun-Hong Cui, UCONN)

* A Survey of Practical Issues in Underwater Networks

Jim Partan (UMass-Amherst/WHOI), Jim Kurose (UMass-Amherst), 
Brian Levine(UMass-Amherst) 

* Wide Area Ocean Networks: Architecture and System Design
Considerations

Sumit Roy, Payman Arabshahi, Dan Rouseff, Warren Fox
(University of Washington)

* Localization in Underwater Sensor Networks -- Survey
and Challenges

Vijay Chandrasekhar, Winston KG Seah (Institute for Infocomm
Research, Singapore), Yoo Sang Choo, How Voon Ee (National
University of Singapore)

10:40-11:00 Coffee break

11:00-12:00 Session 2:  Analysis and Algorithms
(Session Chair: Urbashi Mitra, USC)

* On the relationship between capacity and distance in an
underwater acoustic communication channel

Milica Stojanovic (MIT/WHOI)

* Deployment Analysis in Underwater Acoustic Wireless Sensor
Networks

Dario Pompili, Tommaso Melodia, Ian F. Akyildiz (Georgia
Institute of Technology)

* An Optimization Framework for Joint Sensor Deployment,
Link Scheduling and Routing in Underwater Sensor Networks

Leonardo Badia (IMT Lucca Institute for Advanced Studies,
Italy), Michele Mastrogiovanni, Chiara Petrioli, Stamatis
Stefanakos (University of Rome, Italy), Michele Zorzi
(University of Padova, Italy)

12:00-14:20 Poster/Demo Session (including short papers,
work-in-progress posters, and demos) and Lunch

Short Paper (presented as posters)

* Sensor Networks of Freely Drifting Autonomous Underwater
Explorers

Jules S. Jaffe (Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD),
Curt Schurgers (UCSD)

* Cooperative Multihop Communication for Underwater
Acoustic Networks

Cecilia Carbonelli (Qualcomm), Urbashi Mitra (USC)

* Reconfigurable Acoustic Modem for Underwater Sensor Networks

Ethem M. Sozer, Milica Stojanovic (MIT)

* Why Underwater Acoustic Nodes Should Sleep With One Eye Open:
Idle-time Power Management In Underwater Sensor Networks

Albert F. Harris III (University of Padova, Italy), Milica
Stojanovic (MIT, USA), Michele Zorzi (University of Padova, Italy)

* On Applying Network Coding to Underwater Sensor Networks

Zheng Guo, Peng Xie, Jun-Hong Cui, Bing Wang (University of Connecticut)

* A MAC Protocol for Ad-Hoc Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks

Borja Peleato, Milica Stojanovic (MIT)

NOTE: please check the workshop website for more info on 
posters and demos.

14:20-15:50 Panel Discussion:
"Underwater Networks: Methods, Systems, and Applications"

Confirmed Panelists:
* Chris Clark (Cornell)
* Scott Galagher (WHOI)
* John Heidemann (USC)
* Daniel Nagle (NUWC Newport) 
* Richard Nielsen (Boeing)
* Jason Redi (BBN)
* Thomas Torgersen (UCONN)

15:50-16:10 Coffee break

16:10-17:30 Session 3:  System Design
(Session Chair: Kevin Fall, Intel Research)

* Electromagnetic Communications within Swarms of Autonomous
Underwater Vehicles

Michael R. Frater, Michael J. Ryan, Robin M. Dunbar (The University
of New South Wales, Australia)

* Design of a Low-cost Acoustic Modem for Moored Oceanographic
Applications

Bridget Benson, Grace Chang, Derek Manov, Brian Graham, Ryan Kastner
(UCSB)

* Low-Power Acoustic Modem for Dense Underwater Sensor Networks

Jack Wills, Wei Ye, John Heidemann (USC/ISI)

* Status Packet Deprecation and Store-Forward Routing in AUSNet

Matthew Haag, Emmanuel Agu (Worcester Polytechnic Institute), Rick
Komerska, Steven G. Chappell (Autonomous Undersea Systems Institute),
Radim Bartos (University of New Hampshire)

17:30-17:40 Wrap-up and end of workshop

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6