Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: AAA Goals for Mobile IPv6
	Author(s)	: G. Giaretta, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-03.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2006-9-12
	
In commercial deployments Mobile IPv6 can be a service offered by a
Mobility Services Provider (MSP).  In this case all protocol
operations may need to be explicitly authorized and traced, requiring
the interaction between Mobile IPv6 and the AAA infrastructure.
Integrating the AAA infrastructure offers also a solution component
for Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping in integrated and split scenarios.

This document describes various scenarios where a AAA interface for
Mobile IPv6 is actually required.  Additionally, it lists design
goals and requirements for such an interface.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-aaa-ha-goals-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:26:49 -0700

Sorry for chiming in so late:

The term "Mobility Security Association" is used heavily in Mobile IPv4
security and AAA interaction documentation: 

MIPv4 base spec 3344
MIPv4 AAA key management 3957, 
Diameter MIPv4, 4004
Draft-nakhjiri-radius-mip4-02

Furthermore, Diameter spec (4004) uses the acronym MSA to refer to these
security association and uses "MSA" in naming a large number of AVPs for
Mobile IPv4 application. We followed the same terminology for defining
RADIUS attributes in the radius-mip4 draft.

It is unfortunate that MIP6 WG has picked MSA as an acronym for "Mobility
service authorizer". As the work on bootstrapping MIP6 in Dime picks up,
there will be more and more confusion as people try to define AVPs to
address the security associations. 

Please replace the acronym for "Mobility service authorizer".

Thanks,

Madjid Nakhjiri

---

From: "Gerardo Giaretta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:36:38 +0200

Hi Madjid,

the acronym MSA has been used since the beginning of the Design Team
work in mip6 and it's used in several drafts related to bootstrapping.
I guess it would be really difficult to replace it. Moreover, Alpesh
and I have already acked the PS draft during AUTH48 and therefore it
would be not possible to make any change anyway.

In my view, we can live with this acronym. The meaning of the acronym
can be easily derived from the context of the sentence, imo.

--Gerardo

On 9/15/06, Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]> wrote:
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
>

---

From: Madjid Nakhjiri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:55:23 -0700

Hi Gerardo, 

Not sure how long design team in mip6 has been working, but the mip4-AAA
work went on since before I started at IETF!! 

I had AUTH48s that lasted more than 48 days, let alone 48 hours, but if you
passed it within 48 hours, good for you. The warning was just too hard to
resist:)

I just hope you will never need an AVP that describes an "MSA assigned from
a specific MSA", because then you need a lot more imagination naming that
AVP:)

Madjid
-----Original Message-----
From: Gerardo Giaretta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 8:37 AM
To: Madjid Nakhjiri
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Dime] Acronym MSA in MIP6 docs is unfortunate!!

Hi Madjid,

--Gerardo