Subject: Re: [MEXT] ETSI TC ITS Liaison

From: Andreas Festag <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:46:15 +0200

Dear Julien, Eddy, dear all,

Let me add that ETSI TC ITS consists of several working groups, WG3 is  
one of them and responsible for networking & transport. Currently, the  
focus of the ETSI TC ITS lies on vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to- 
infrastructure communication (though the scope is much broader).  
Clearly, IP and its mobility extensions play a certrain role. I think,  
the MEXT WG draft "Automotive Industry Requirements for NEMO Route  
Optimization" explains it well and is fully in line with the current  
concept in ETSI TC ITS.

As for formal liaisons, this is part of ETSI's working procedures.  
Considering the fact that there are many other 'liaisons' between IETF  
WGs and ETSI/3GPP in a similiar way, I would regard them as common  
practice. However, I fully understand that in IETF liasions are  
handled in a pragmatic and less 'formal' way.

ETSI TC ITS has started end of last year. An overall work plan is  
still under discussion. At least for the WG3 (Network & Transport) I  
can say that a first set of base specifications is scheduled for end  
of 2009, including IPv6 integration.

 From my perspective, it seems that the automotive use case fits  
perfectly into the MEXT charter and the draft on automotive  
requirements on route optimization is an important step towards a  
solution.

Kind regards,

Andreas

On 27.08.2008, at 13:46, Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-RCN0)[VZ] wrote:

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
>> Behalf Of Julien Laganier
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:10 AM
>> Subject: [MEXT] ETSI TC ITS Liaison
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> [Resent since I forgot to CC Andreas Festag]
>>
>> The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) has
>> created a
>> new Technical Committee TC ITS whose task is to develop standards,
>> specifications and other deliverables to support development and
>> implementation of ITS Service provision across the network, for
>> transport networks, vehicles and transport users.
>>
>> We have received a Liaison Letter from ETSI TC ITS:
>>
>> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file573.doc>
>>
>> They have designated Andreas Festag (Chairman of the TC ITS WG3 -
>> Transport and Networks) as a Liaison to the IETF MEXT WG. It is good
>> that we have someone that can speak on the behalf of ETSI TC ITS.
>>
>> From our side, given the current workload involved with work on NEMO
>> route optimization for the automotive usecases, we do not foresee a
>> need to have a designated Liaison since the WG can communicate with
>> ETSI TC ITS in a simple way, i.e. reach WG consensus on what is our
>> input to them, and get that input approved by our Area Director,  
>> Jari.
>>
>> If the workload involved with with work on NEMO route optimization  
>> for
>> the automotive usecases increases as to justify designating a Liaison
>> to ETSI TC ITS, we can of course reconsider that decision.
>>
>> Please feel free to express your thoughts on the above, if any, on  
>> the
>> MEXT mailing list.
>
>
> It seems like a good decision to me.  Does the ETSI TC ITS have a
> schedule it's trying to meet?  It would make sense if any MEXT
> milestones that they depend on are in sync with that.
>

Dr. Andreas Festag
NEC Europe Ltd. - NEC Laboratories Europe
Network Research Division
Kurfürsten-Anlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg

Phone: +49 (6221) 4342 - 147
Fax:   +49 (6221) 4342 - 155
EMail: [email-masked]
http://www.nw.neclab.eu

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House,
1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL |
Registered in England 2832014
==================================================

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext