Subject: [Mipshop] IPv4 PAT/NAT/ReVNAT traversal

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:38:44 -0000

Hi:

The practical issue for MIPv6 Mobile Nodes to be able to roam over IPv4
clouds has been around for some time. In particular, MNs may need such
wireless communications media as sat links and GPRS, though most of
those only propose IPv4 services, some with PAT applied. Also, it may be
easier for practical deployments that the IPv6 Home Network be reachable
from the outside while located inside a private IPv4 Network.

Doors is a simple solution for that problem, based on 6to4, UDP
tunneling and MIP6.

Doors has been successfully evaluated on Cisco hardware over various com
link, including sat and multiple forms of Mobile Phones in Europe, US
and Japan. 

Yet, the Doors draft has been bouncing around between WGs and at this
time it's unclear which WG could be interested in owning it. Nemo said
it's a wider (at least MIP6) concern. V6Ops rejected because of the
Intellectual Property. Would this WG be interested in continuing this
effort?

The draft has expired but can still be found at:
http://www.mobilenetworks.org/nemo/drafts/draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traver
sal-01.txt

Pascal

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:09:48 +0100

MIPSHOP is not currently taking on any new drafts. Even if we were, this one
seems quite a stretch for the current charter.

-gabriel

-- 
Gabriel Montenegro (Sun Microsystems Laboratories, Europe)
180, Avenue de l'Europe          Email: [email-masked]
ZIRST de Montbonnot              Mobile: +33 673 99 56 62
38334 Saint Ismier CEDEX, France
Office: +33 476 18 80 45 (sun internal: x38045)
Fax:    +33 476 18 88 88