Subject: [Mipshop] RFC 4068 on Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:43:01 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4068

        Title:      Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6
        Author(s):  R. Koodli, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       July 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 93591
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-fast-mipv6-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4068.txt

Mobile IPv6 enables a Mobile Node to maintain its connectivity to the
Internet when moving from one Access Router to another, a process
referred to as handover.  During handover, there is a period during
which the Mobile Node is unable to send or receive packets because of
link switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This "handover
latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures, namely
movement detection, new Care of Address configuration, and Binding
Update, is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as Voice over
IP.  Reducing the handover latency could be beneficial to
non-real-time, throughput-sensitive applications as well.  This
document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency due to
Mobile IPv6 procedures.  This document does not address improving the
link switching latency.

This document is a product of the MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff
Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop