Subject: [Mipshop] Some reviewing comments on draft-faccin-mih-infoserv-01.txt

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:42:28 +0200

Dear authors of draft-faccin-mih-infoserv-01.txt, I've read the
document, thanks for posting it.

The document introduces 802.21 terminology to reader.  A
yet-to-be-finalized 802.21 protocol is assumed to be a set of messages
Request-Indication-Response-Confirm.  These messages happen in two ways:
either between terminal and access point or between terminal and a
server in the network.  In both cases the message exchanges is always
initiated by the terminal and always acknwoeldged only once.

It proposes the positioning of the Media Independent Handover
Functioning between 802.xx and IP (in a stack) and Media Dependent
Handover Functions at 802.xx level.

It proposes a bit-level message format to carry MIHS information data in
IP or above IP messages.

I have some comments, at random noted below.

Terminology: "Service Access Point" and "Access Point" can easily
collide in this document, having totally different meanings.  SAP is an
ISO-OSI virtual term while an AP is a real box.  One can't say that a
SAP is an AP that provides services.

For implementation, usually a SAP is actually a socket.  Why not using
the term "socket" or API?

> FILTER_INFO_GSM_NETWORK:  Get info about only GSM networks

But I thought 802.21 is only about 802.xx and 3GPP/3GPP2 and not about
GSM networks?

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop