Subject: RE: [Mipshop] ES and CS within the MIPSHOP charter

From: "Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:05:17 -0400

>  I think
> many of its concepts have been discussed in SeaMoby.  I think it
resumes
> the earlier ideas that are now in FMIP: triggered handover,
> network-controlled handover, inter-AR communication.  I think the
FMIPv6
> draft should be edited to acknowledge ideas and contributors of
similar
> work, including CARD.

hmm.. This is wrong both historically and in terms of roles. FMIPv6 
started late 2000/early 2001 and the proxy messages, HI/HAck, 
network-controlled handovers have been around since then.

There was no CARD then.

Ajoy-> CARD introduced the idea of information service. Information
exchange was not part of FMIPv6 from the beginning and still I do not
believe FMIPv6 supports any information service like CARD.  Also,
inter-AR information query was introduced by CARD. 

ProxyRouterAdv was used for movement detection purpose only. The idea of
ProxyRouter Adv and inter-AR tunnel came from low latency handoff. Low
latency handoff was designed around 98 much before FMIPv6. 

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:28:11 +0900

Hello,
So hot discussion somewhat diverging.

Hesitating to intervene, however, I have to make some clarification about
FMIPv6 because streamlining and refining this is included in the current
charter.

> ProxyRouterAdv was used for movement detection purpose only. 

This is so strong statement limiting the role of ProxyRouterAdv message.
The notable role of ProxyRouterAdv message is to configure NCoA by using the
new network prefix.

> The idea of ProxyRouter Adv and inter-AR tunnel came from low 
> latency handoff. 

Basically, tunnel in FMIPv6 does exist between the PAR and MN ,not between
PAR and NAR by binding the PCoA and NCoA at PAR using FBU, 
even though optionally might configure inter-AR tunnel using HI/HAck.
I don't think default tunnel in FMIPv6 can be expressed as inter-AR tunnel.

--Junghoon

Low latency handoff was designed around 98 
> much before FMIPv6.

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:20:06 -0700

Ajoy,

> inter-AR information query was introduced by CARD. 

which part of my response talked about "Information Service"?

> latency handoff was designed around 98 much before FMIPv6. 

Thank you for (yet another) monday morning quarter-backing.

-Rajeev