Subject: RE: [Mipshop] new charter

From: "Singh Ajoy-ASINGH1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:26:44 -0400

Stefano, 

Please find my inline comments. 

Regards,
Ajoy 

I get a feeling that there may be some misunderstanding of what 802.21
defines. 802.21 is in no way trying to define an alternative mobility
protocol. It is not in competition with FMIP. 

Ajoy-> Stefano, I think 802.21 IS protocol is not planning to define
alternative to FMIP. Rather it is trying to define something which is
already defined by CARD. I guess they were trying to define this because
folks were not aware of CARD functionality. I do realize CARD is an
experimental so we need to make necessary changes to meet all the
requirements of 802.21 if not met already.  

In terms of the MIIS, it is a set of mechanism to overcome issues like
"network selection" where the mobile node today does not have enough
information to make an educated decision of which network to select.
This is a problem well identified in other fora (e.g. IEEE 802.11 and
3GPP). 

Ajoy-> You are right.  CARD protocol provides information query
mechanism that can be used to get mobility related information for
network selection. 

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop