Subject: RE: [Mipshop] Re: Media-Independent is IP

From: "Gupta, Vivek G" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:58:08 -0700

Yes, in the future when .11k and .11u become standards and are
implemented you should be able to see .11 a/b/g/n type cards with .11k
and .11u capabilities/amendments.

No .11k and .11u are not competitors to 802.21. 802.11k helps in
intra-WLAN mobility and .11u may possibly end up carrying out some of
the amendments proposed by 802.21 itself.

As for 802.16, I did'nt mean that .11 and .16 capabilities would be
offered in same card/hardware. Just that the amendment process would be
carried out in a similar manner for 802.16 specific hardware.

BR,
-Vivek

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 7:16 AM
To: Gupta, Vivek G
Cc: Alexandru Petrescu; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] Re: Media-Independent is IP

Gupta, Vivek G wrote:
>> I agree that upgrading existing L2 infrastructure may take long 
>> time. So the above remark makes me think that 802.21 tries to avoid
>>  that. Speaking of which, am I right to think that 802.21 will not 
>> define
> 
> anything >going into hardware?  I'm currently used to think that 
> 802.11b is a >hardware card, 802.11a another card and 802.16e/WiBro 
> probably yet another >card.
> 
>> Do you think there will be such 802.21 cards?  Or is it that 802.21
>> will only be software?
> 
> 
> 802.21 is currently identifying and recommending specific amendments 
> for 802.11 and 802.16 specifications. Some of these proposed changes 
> are likely to be in hardware. So in future you might see an 802.11 
> a/b/g/n card that may have 802.21 capabilities.

Thanks, that is good to know.  That means no special 802.21 cards, just
802.21 capabilities in new 802.11 cards.  I may also think that in the
future I may be able to see 802.11abgn cards that may have 802.11u and
802.11k capabilities, that are also recommendations to 802.11.

802.11u: inter-working with non-802.11 networks.
802.11k: radio measurement data to be exchanged between AP and STA,
         for load balancing a terminal to other networks.

Do you think that 802.11u and 802.11k are competitors to 802.21?

> Similarly for 802.16 as well.

I was thinking that 802.16 connectivity STA to BS is fundamentally
different than 802.11, from IP perspective, in that 802.16 is using some
form of point-to-point serial link, ppp maybe.  So I was thinking that a
same terminal card could not run both .11 and .16.  I was thinking that
a 802.16 interface in linux would be called "eth0" and the 802.11
interface called "ppp0".

IP runs differently over eth0-like interfaces than on ppp0 interfaces,
with respect to ARP and ND (no ND/ARP over ppp0).

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:09:30 +0200

> the amendments proposed by 802.21 itself.

Makes sense to me for 802.21 to propose amendments to IEEE TGs.  But
would 802.21 take corrections from this IETF WG?  For example, would
802.21 modify its current draft to specify that an IPv6 address encoding
is usually 16 bytes long (and not 6 bytes as P802.21™/D00.01, july 2005,
pp. 130, sections 8.4.4.7 and 8.4.4.8 would suggest)?

Alex