Subject: [Mipshop] Why the charter discussion isn't a CARD discussion (or another solution discussion).

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:55:57 +1000

Hi,

I've just got back to work and read the last ~90 mails for MIPSHOP.
I thought I'd start a new thread so that we could see if people
agree how IETF needs to contribute to the selection of
protocols for information services.

A few opinions are offered below for a start.

A lot of the discussion has been on Information Services,
some of which may be related to (future) explicit requirements
from 802.21.  It's pretty clear that there is existing work,
related to both FMIPv6 and CARD (although also potentially LDAP,
etc...).

IMO, what's pretty important here is not to colour the use case and
requirements gathering phases with a particular solution.

With regard to 802.21 requirements, that's clearly a job
for 802.21.  If IETF people have a function at this stage, it's
only to help identify difficult portions of the problem space,
perhaps those which have been solved before or have stuck before.

There may be IETF embodiments of IS, which have closed use
(such as for FMIPv6).  As has been pointed out, it doesn't really
make sense to have an IETF protocol do things in a
way which is incompatible from 802.21, if they agree on the
requirements (big if?), or enough of the requirements to
share a common framework.

Please be aware though, that there's no IETF Standards Track
document aimed at this work.  If there was, there wouldn't be
as strong a need to go through this process.

I think we need to go through a careful process to identify
the properties of protocols required for Information Services,
when messages are transported over IP.
Presentation of completed protocols to 802.21 isn't useful
at this stage, as there's a parallel and interrelated
requirements development process ongoing there.

Once the requirements are known, I think there's a good chance
to make or move a protocol on the standards track.  This may or
may not be based on any one of the documents currently before us.

Greg

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop