Subject: [Mipshop] Re: car video with handovers

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:37:47 -0700

Hi Alex,

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> So this demo shows FMIPv6/L2 abstractions (the main video) is somehow
> less perfect than the perfect inset video which is the in-car recorded
> video.  Meaning there's still work to do on FMIPv6 to improve it such
> that no more interruptions, right?
> 

Well, we are revising the spec, but not necessarily based on the 
(subjective) visual representation in the video :-)
As we have discussed (and seem to agree on), there is separation between 
  the link-specific bottlnecks which are best addressed by tools (such 
as host ap, mad wifi) and/or other standard bodies (such as IEEE 
802.11r), and the L3 operations (which the base FMIP spec focusses on). 
The FMIP-over-link-X document should specify the link-specific 
idiosyncracies.

Anyway, I think we have discussed enough on this. Let's move on..

Thanks,

-Rajeev

>> I could notice the interruption when there was no Access Point, but 
>> not during Handovers. Perhaps my eyes are not sharp enough :-) (Or you 
>> might say I am biased of course).
> 
> 
> No, not eyes (not the video).  Check the sound while attaching to the
> second AP, it's the classical tsss-tsss of lost UDP packets.  I'm not
> saying biased.  I'm curious about the demo.
> 
> As a side note, I did a similar demo, filmed 3 years ago about handovers
> GPRS-WiFi hotspot, same video filmed from car and there were indeed some
> interruptions, but not during handover.  The app during inter-tech
> handover was about perfect... But that's inter-technology handover...
> 
> Alex

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop