Subject: [Mipshop] FMIPv6 and Multiple Routers

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:54:16 -0700

What should FMIPv6 do if there are multiple routes on the link? We spent a 
lot of time talking about this in DNA.

            jak 

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: Subba Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:20:27 +0530

Hi Jak,

> What should FMIPv6 do if there are multiple routes on the link? 

There may be some problem in the following case.

Consider that there are two access routers in each of the current and new
links. i.e., two PARs in the current link (say PAR 1 and PAR 2)
and two NARs in the new link (say NAR 1 and NAR 2).

Assume that NAR1 is configured as NAR for new link in PAR 1 and 
NAR 2 is configured as NAR for new link in PAR 2.

If MN sends RtSolPr to allrouter multicast address,
it will receive PrRtAdv from both PAR 1 and PAR 2 with different NAR
addresses (for the same AP-ID).

Assume that MN configures NAR address as NAR 1 
(i.e., configured from the PrRtAdv received from PAR 1).

If MN sends FBU to PAR 2 then HI, HAck exchange will happen with NAR 2,
there by buffering will happen at NAR 2.

(Note that, NAR address for MN is NAR 1
and NAR address for PAR 2 is NAR 2.)

After moving to new link, MN will send FNA to NAR 1, but the buffering is
happening at NAR 2.

To avoid this, if MN stores the PAR address from which it got the (AP-ID,
AR-Info) tuple, and communicates only with that PAR for sending FBU, 
then there will not be any problem.

I am not sure if this need to be mentioned in specification or
implementations shall take care of this.

Thanks & Regards,
Subba Reddy

---

From: qinxia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 16:25:35 +0800

Hello,
          In the following case, the MN will receive PrRtAdv from two more
ARs,  

then,  I am not sure,  how many IP addresses is the MN provided with?   Such
case will be presented in WiMax or others ?
                                               
                                            Thanks & Regards,
                                                  Alice Qin

-----Original Message-----
From: Subba Reddy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:50 PM
To: James Kempf; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] FMIPv6 and Multiple Routers

Hi Jak,

Consider that there are two access routers in each of the current and new
links. i.e., two PARs in the current link (say PAR 1 and PAR 2) and two NARs
in the new link (say NAR 1 and NAR 2).

Assume that NAR1 is configured as NAR for new link in PAR 1 and NAR 2 is
configured as NAR for new link in PAR 2.

If MN sends RtSolPr to allrouter multicast address, it will receive PrRtAdv
from both PAR 1 and PAR 2 with different NAR addresses (for the same AP-ID).

Assume that MN configures NAR address as NAR 1 (i.e., configured from the
PrRtAdv received from PAR 1).

To avoid this, if MN stores the PAR address from which it got the (AP-ID,
AR-Info) tuple, and communicates only with that PAR for sending FBU, then
there will not be any problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Subba Reddy