Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:26:38 -0400

Hi John,

I had some good conversations with Robert and am getting a better
understanding of GIST.  I still have one fundamental question though.
The latest GIST draft (draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-10) describes GIST as
follows:

 - This specification concentrates mainly on path-coupled signaling,
   which involves network elements which are located on the path taken
   by a particular data flow, possibly including but not limited to the
   flow endpoints.  Indeed, there are almost always more than two
   participants in a path-coupled signaling session, although there is
   no need for every node on the path to participate.  Path-coupled
   signaling thus excludes end-to-end higher-layer application
   signaling.

 - In the context of path-coupled signaling, examples of state
   management include network resource reservation, firewall
   configuration, and state used in active networking; examples of state
   monitoring are the discovery of instantaneous path properties, such
   as available bandwidth or cumulative queuing delay.  Each of these
   different uses of signaling is referred to as a signaling
   application.

What confuses me is that MIH (802.21) is an end-to-end higher layer
application protocol.  So from the above definition it seems that it is
specifically excluded from using GIST (i.e. read the last sentence of
the first paragraph).  Any insight that you could shed on this issue
would be very helpful to me.

Akbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi all,

As chair of NSIS, I'd be happy to help with any discussion of how GIST
could be used with 802.21.  As Robert ran through in the meeting today,
there are 5+ independent implementations of GIST, including several open
source implementations (I can send links, if there is interest) & we
have had 2 interop events.

We have been working on NAT traversal issues, and are looking at
documenting these issues (currently there is an individual submission on
this issue), as we have an Applicability Statement on use of NSIS
protocols in a mobile environment (multihoming is also covered in the
document, to some extent).

My guess is that MIPSHOP would be the home of this work (irrespective of
what transport protocol is used) but I'm happy provide additional
information on what we have been doing, as GIST / NSIS may not have been
on everyone's radar.

thanks,
John (NSIS chair)

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

Akbar Rahman  
Principal Engineer, Systems
InterDigital Canada Ltee
1000 Sherbrooke Street West
10th Floor
Montreal, Quebec H3A 3G4
Tel.: +1 514.904.6270
Fax: +1 514.904.6344
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.InterDigital.com

 This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient.  Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:52:44 -0700

If the signaling between the end host and network is done using a L2 
protocol, like 802.1x, then GIST could be used between the local network and 
the backend server, kind of like Radius is for AAA.

     jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 11:26 AM
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi John,

Akbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi all,

thanks,
John (NSIS chair)

Akbar Rahman

 This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to 
which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, 
confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than 
its intended recipient.  Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver 
of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this 
communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify 
me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any 
attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message 
or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.