Subject: RE: [Mipshop] .21 MIH solutions

From: "Hepworth, Eleanor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:19:10 +0100

Hi Alper,

<snip>

> The latter sounds like a theoretical possibility, but is it
> really practical? I mean, I'd rather expect the core network 
> to issue the command to an access network device (NAS, or 
> BS), and than in turn that device issuing the command to the 
> mobile host. When it comes to causing L2 events (e.g., 
> disconnect, re-auth, etc.), I think the current architectures 
> are modeled that way.

The right way to do it may vary on the type of handover under
consideration and the capabilities of the involved access networks.
e.g. in some cases the access network may not be fully MIH capable.

It's probably desirable not to limit the possible deployment options
when developing the MIH solution except where constraints are imposed by
things like security.

Thanks

Ele

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:35:18 -0700

Eleanor,

> when developing the MIH solution except where constraints are imposed by

And complexity :-) Supporting all possible scenarios, theoretical and
practical, comes with a cost. We need to make a cost-benefit analysis as we
go along.

Alper