Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:27:04 -0400

Hi Radhika,

I think that you are right in that in general there are different types
of end to end signaling.  For MIH (802.21) there is for example
different types of end points:

- Type 1: Mobile Node to MIH Network Peer
- Type 2: Mobile Proxy (e.g. WLAN AP or cellular BS) to MIH Network Peer

This definitely has to be considered by GIST or any other transport
protocol that is proposed for MIH.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 3:26 PM
To: Rahman, Akbar; Hancock, Robert; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi, Akbar:
 
In addition, did you also get the feeling to differentiate between the
two
types of end-to-end signaling stead as follows?:
 
1. End-to-End signaling between the applications. For example, SIP will
signaling all QOS parameters between the source and the destination
applications (e.g., source codec-to-destination codec).
 
2. End-to-end signaling between the two source and destination network
nodes. For example, source and destination SIP phone may be connected
between the respective routers via LANs.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Rahman, Akbar
Sent: Thu 8/3/2006 2:45 PM
To: Hancock, Robert; [email-masked];
[email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi Robert, Johne, et. al,

Thanks for your explanations it definitely helped clear up some of the
confusion.  I think that you should revise some of the wording in the
GIST draft to make sure that the same question does not come up again.

Now for the MIH (802.21), I guess the key statement that you made was
that "the path-coupled functionality in GIST is not intended for
end-to-end signalling.  However, the proposal for MIH is *not* to use
the functionality
that is specific to the path-coupled case."

I know that you are currently working on the Problem Statement (and I am
going to send some comments out on that shortly), but can you please
tell me what GIST functionality will NOT be used for MIH?

Akbar

Akbar Rahman  
Principal Engineer, Systems
InterDigital Canada Ltee
1000 Sherbrooke Street West
10th Floor
Montreal, Quebec H3A 3G4
Tel.: +1 514.904.6270
Fax: +1 514.904.6344
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.InterDigital.com

 This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient.  Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 06:42:26 -0700

There's not supposed to be anything in the protocol itself that cares
what type of node the MIHF is within.

Best Regards,
Michael 

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Rahman, Akbar [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 6:27 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R.
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi Radhika,

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 3:26 PM
To: Rahman, Akbar; Hancock, Robert; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] GIST for 802.21

Hi, Akbar:
 
In addition, did you also get the feeling to differentiate between the
two types of end-to-end signaling stead as follows?:

 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

[email-masked]; [email-masked]

Now for the MIH (802.21), I guess the key statement that you made was
that "the path-coupled functionality in GIST is not intended for
end-to-end signalling.  However, the proposal for MIH is *not* to use
the functionality that is specific to the path-coupled case."

Akbar

Akbar Rahman

 This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other
than its intended recipient.  Unintended transmission shall not
constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you
received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or
distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original
message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail,
nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a
digital or electronic signature.