Subject: [Mipshop] Review draft-deng-mipshop-hmip-hhokey-00

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:22:40 +0200

Hello,

I've read the I-D draft-deng-mipshop-hmip-hhokey-00.txt. Here is my
feedback.

Overall, I'm not sure we are talking about the same problem space. For
example, sending keys to AR does not appear relevant to me if we are talking
about HMIP security.

There are many "keys" being passed around. But there are not enough details
to know what those keys are used for, let alone the formula to compute the
keys.

There appears to be dependency on yet-to-be-designed protocols.

See below for more details.

   The handover within one MAP is decribed in Figure 1.  The MN was
   originally authenticated to AR1 with a full EAP exchange.  Then the
   AAA server pushes the corresponding key to the MAP.  

What's that "corresponding key?" MAP is not on-path with the AAA signaling.
Therefore, there needs to be additional protocol design to accommodate such
an operation. This has impact on RADIUS/Diameter.

   According to its
   configuration, the MAP pushes the keys to the ARs within its
   administrative domain.  

What are those keys? What are they used for? In the context of "HMIP6" where
MAP is not on the AR, why do we need to deal with any keys going to the ARs?

   When the MN attaches to another AR (e.g.  AR2
   in Figure 1), the MN and AR2 assert their knowledge of the
   corresponding LSAP_MK by exchanges of the Secure Association Protocol
   (SAP), after which they arrive at the consensus of the LSK.

What's LSAP_MK, LSK? Are they really relevant to "HMIP6 security?"

   MN           MAP1           MAP2            AAA
   |    HoReq     |              |              |
   |------------->|          HokeyReq           |
   |              |---------------------------->|
   |              |              |   HokeyRep   |
   |              |   HokeyConf  |<-------------|
   |    HoAck     |<-------------|              |
   |<-------------|              |              |
   |              |              |              |
   |              |              |              |
   |<==========  SAP  ==========>|              |
   |              |              |              |

So, this scheme relies on Ho* messages. Where are they defined? 

Alper

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop