Subject: [Mipshop] A new draft on adapting FMIPv6 to vertical handoffs

From: "Henrik Petander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:56:37 -0800

Hi all,

We have written two new drafts on adapting FMIPv6 to vertical handoffs
and make-before-break handoffs in general through the use of
bicasting. I gave a presentation on the BBSD protocol in July in
Montreal at the Mobopts meeting under the name SafetyNet focusing on
its effects on performance
(http://users.tkk.fi/~lpetande/drafts/SafetyNet-ietf66.pdf).

Feedback on these protocol extensions would be very welcome.

Regards,
Henrik Petander

1) http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petander-mipshop-fmipv6-bbsd-00.txt

"More and more mobile nodes are being equipped with multiple radios,
such as 3G and 802.11. This document specifies use of Bicasting with
Buffering and Selective Delivery (BBSD) with Fast Handovers for Mobile
IPv6 (RFC 4068). The BBSD scheme takes advantage of the additional
radio capabilities of Mobile Nodes. As in Simultaneous Bindings for
Fast Handovers, the BBSD extension uses bicasting to allow a Mobile
Node to continue receiving packets directly from the Previous Access
Router during the handoff process. In addition, the selective delivery
uses sequence numbers in the bicasted packets to enable the New Access
Router to only deliver those packets from its buffer that the Mobile
Node has not already received directly from the Previous Access
Router. This reduces the overhead of bicasting and mitigates the
negative impacts of packet duplication on the application performance
in Mobile Node."

2) http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petander-mipshop-bicasthdr-00.txt

The BBSD protocol uses the bicast header to recognize duplicate packets.

"Bicasting or multicasting of traffic can be used to reduce the impact
of a handoff by allowing a Mobile Node to receive a stream via
multiple paths simultaneously. However, receiving of multiple copies
of the packets may have a negative impact on applications which cannot
distinguish duplicate packets. This holds true for all applications
using TCP which mistakes the packet duplication from bicasting with
congestion and reduces the sending rate drastically. This document
specifies an IPv6 destination option header which can be used to
identify and discard duplicate copies of bicasted packets."

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop