Subject: [Mipshop] Using Higher Layer Triggers for Low Latency Handoffs in MIPv4

From: "ANTOINE Stephane RD-ILAB-LON" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:11:39 +0100

Dear all,
 
I would like to know whether the draft recently submitted to mip4 would
be more suitable for the mipshop wg. 
Any comment is welcome.
 
Thanks
Stephane

Title: "Using Higher Layer Triggers for Low Latency Handoffs in MIPv4"
url:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mip4/draft-antoine-mip4-lowlatency-handoff-trig
gers-00.txt
 
Abstract

   This document introduces the use of triggers coming from layers
   higher than the link layer to initiate the Low Latency Handoff in
   Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) .  The Low Latency Handoff for MIPv4 assumes
   availability of Layer 2 (L2) triggers that contain Layer 3 (L3)
   information for the Mobile Node (MN) to handoff.  However, the low
   latency draft does not describe the method by which the L2 trigger is
   produced neither does it explicitly describe by what mechanism the L3
   information present in the L2 trigger is acquired.  The Low Latency
   Handoff for MIPv4 relies on availability of the L2 trigger.  However
   relying only on the link information to initiate a handoff does not
   generally gather enough information for the MN to handoff to the most
   suitable available access network.  Information from higher layers
   such as Higher Layer Triggers can be used to command a MN to quickly
   move from one access to another one.  Using Higher Layer Triggers to
   initiate the handoff enables the implementation of policy based
   handoff to garantee load balancing of the wireless networks and
   Quality of Services to the end users.

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop