Subject: Re: [Mipshop] Proposed new charter

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:18:11 -0500

According to my understanding of the scope of MIPSHOP, MIPSHOP WG should
handle handoff optimization related to mobile node initiated mobility
protocols. Based on this I support handling PMIP6 handover optimization
in NETLMM WG.

Regards,

Mohamed Khalil

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Vijay Devarapalli
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:19 PM
To: 'Mipshop'
Subject: [Mipshop] Proposed new charter

Hello folks,

Here is the first draft of the text for a new charter for the MIPSHOP
WG. Please review and comment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization
(MIPSHOP)

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 enables IPv6 mobile nodes to continue using a given "home
address" in spite of changes in its point of attachment to the network.
These changes may cause delay, packet loss, and also represent overhead
traffic on the network.  The MIPSHOP WG has so far worked on two
technologies to address these issues. Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6)
reduces the amount and latency of signaling between a MN, its Home Agent
and one or more correspondent nodes.  Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6
(FMIPv6) reduces packet loss by providing fast IP connectivity as soon
as the mobile node establishes a new point of attachment at a new link.

The MIPSHOP WG will continue to work on HMIPv6 and FMIPv6, and the
necessary extensions to improve these protocols.  The MIPSHOP WG will
also identify missing components that are required for deploying these
protocols and standardize the necessary extensions. The WG will also
address interworking of these protocols with other mobility management
protocols in the IETF, including network-based mobility management
protocols.

The IEEE 802.21 Media Independent Handoff (MIH) working group aims at
providing services to assist with handoffs between heterogeneous
link-layer technologies, and across IP subnet boundaries.  MIH services
can be delivered through link-layer specific solutions and/or through a
"layer 3 or above" protocol.  MIPSHOP will define the delivery of
information for MIH services for this latter case. A L3 based mechanism
to identify a valid information server is also required.  The MIPSHOP
will work on developing a protocol for transport of MIH services
information and mechanisms for discovering the MIH server. Security for
the transport of MIH information will also be addressed.

The MOBOPTS Research Group in the IRTF is chartered to work on
optimizations related to Mobile IPv6 and IP handoffs among other things.
The MIPSHOP WG will take mature proposals from the MOBOPTS group and
standardize them in the IETF on a case-by-case basis.

The MIPSHOP WG will also consider and standardize optimizations for the
Mobile IPv6 protocol and IP mobility in general.

Scope of MIPSHOP:

The working group will:

1. Complete the current set of documents with the IESG
    - HMIPv6 (draft-ietf-mipshop-4140bis)
    - FMIPv6 (draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis)
    - FMIPv6 over IEEE 802.16e (draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e)
    - FMIPv6 over 3G CDMA 2000 (draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh)
    - MIH problem statement (draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps)

2. FMIPv6 Mobile Node - Access Router security using the AAA
    infrastructure

    Currently MIPSHOP has produced a standards track protocol for
    setting up security between the mobile node and access router
    for security FMIPv6 signaling messages. However, the protocol
    depends on SeND (Secure Neighbor Discovery) to be available on
    the mobile node and the access router.  An alternate mechanism
    that leverages the AAA infrastructure is required.  Many target
    systems where FMIPv6 is likely to be used use a AAA
    infrastructure to authenticate and authorize network access.

3. Prefix Management for point-to-point links

    Using FMIPv6 over point-to-points like requires some additional
    considerations with respect to managing and allocating prefixes
    for the mobile node on these point-to-point links.  Therefore
    the WG will work on a BCP to document these considerations.

4. Use of FMIPv6 with Proxy Mobile IPv6

    Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) is a network-based mobility
    management protocol where a node in the access network, called
    the Mobile Access Gateway (MAG) handles mobility on behalf of
    the mobile node.  It has been proposed to use FMIPv6 to
    optimize the handover in terms of reducing the packet loss and
    transferring relevant context from the old MAG to the new MAG.
    The working group will work on specifying FMIPv6 extensions to
    enable fast handovers for PMIPv6.

5. Work on protocols and extensions for transporting information
    related to IEEE 802.21:

    The work includes the layer 3 protocol for transporting MIH
    related information and DHCP and DNS extensions for discovery
    the information servers.

6. Standardize mature proposals from the MOBOPTS IRTF Group

Goals and Milestones:

Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-hmip-xx.txt
Done     Working Group Last Call on 
draft-ietf-mipshop-lmm-requirements-XX.txt
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-xx.txt
Done     Discuss Last Call comments and security analyses at IETF 58
Done     Submit draft draft-ietf-mipshop-lmm-requirements-XX.txt to IESG

for publication as Informational
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-xx.txt to IESG for publication

as Experimental
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-hmip-xx.txt to IESG for publication 
as Experimental
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-80211fh-xx.txt 
for Informational
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-80211fh-xx.txt to IESG for 
publication as Informational
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-XX.txt
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba to IESG for publication as 
Proposed Standard
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps to IESG for publication as 
Informational RFC
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc4041bis
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh to IESG for publication as 
Informational RFC
Done     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e to IESG for publication as 
Informational RFC
Done     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support
Apr 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-4140bis to IESG for publication 
as Proposed Standard
Apr 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
May 2008     Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery
May 2008     Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dhcp-options
Jun 2008     Working group last call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-ptp
Jun 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
Jun 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dhcp-options to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
Jul 2008     Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6
Jul 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-ptp to IESG for 
publication as Best Current Practice
Aug 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6 to IESG for publication 
as Proposed Standard
Aug 2008     Working Group Last Call on
draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-aaa-key
Oct 2008     Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-aaa-key to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

Vijay
_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop
_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:30:04 -0500

Hi Mohamed 

IMO, I don't think it makes sense of the reason.

We are talking about rechartering which means we
should expand or modify the original charter.

MIPSHOP is the best place for HANDOVER. 

BR
Frank