Subject: [Mipshop] Pasi Eronen's comments on 4140bis

From: Hesham Soliman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 19:50:55 +1000

Hi Pasi, 

Some answers for your comments below:

    Section 11 needs a better description of how IPsec works in this
    context, including description of required SPD and PAD entries.

=> The SPD entries for the BU are identical to the ones used with the HA.
I'll add text to say that.

    It 
    also seems that the current text proposes rather creative on-the-fly
    modifications to PAD; probably these could be replaced by the dynamic
    home address configuration mechanisms described in RFC 4877.

=> Right. 

    Section 7.1 says "If the R flag is set, the mobile node MUST use its
    RCoA as the Home Address when performing the MAP registration.  RCoA
    is then bound to the LCoA in the MAP's Binding Cache." I had some
    difficulties in understanding this paragraph; some rephrasing or
    additional text would clarify it.

=> Ok.

    Topics noted in Lakshminath Dondeti's SecDir review:

    The draft should describe what assumptions it's making about the
    network between MN and AR, or AR and MAP; without these, it's hard to
    say whether, e.g., the recommendations that BUs don't need
    confidentiality, or protecting payload traffic is optional, are in
    fact correct. 

=> The draft makes absolutely no assumptions about that network. Same as
MIPv6. Yet MIPv6 allows (at least in theory) ESP and AH. I'm not sure why we
would have to use ESP unless you're worried about location privacy, but
MIPv6 allows both. 

    The draft doesn't have any mandatory-to-implement security mechanisms
    (even IKEv2 is given just as an example), which means there's no
    interoperability.

=> I'll clarify that IKEv2 is mandatory. IPsec is mandatory of course, or at
least as mandatory as MIPv6 (I think it's a SHOULD in MIPv6).

    There's no INVALID-ID-INFORMATION notification in IKEv2.

=> Will fix that. 

Thanks,
Hesham

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop