Subject: [Mipshop] RFC 5268 on Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5268

        Title:      Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers 
        Author:     R. Koodli, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      48
        Characters: 113090
        Obsoletes:  RFC4068

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5268.txt

Mobile IPv6 enables a Mobile Node (MN) to maintain its connectivity to the
Internet when moving from one Access Router to another, a process
referred to as handover.  During handover, there is a period during
which the Mobile Node is unable to send or receive packets because of
link switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This "handover
latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures, namely
movement detection, new Care-of Address configuration, and Binding
Update, is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as Voice over
IP (VoIP).  Reducing the handover latency could be beneficial to
non-real-time, throughput-sensitive applications as well.  This
document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency due to
Mobile IPv6 procedures.  This document does not address improving the
link switching latency.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop