Subject: [Mipshop] RFC 5271 on Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 3G CDMA Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:27:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5271

        Title:      Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 
                    3G CDMA Networks 
        Author:     H. Yokota, G. Dommety
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 49316
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5271.txt

Mobile IPv6 is designed to maintain its connectivity while moving
from one network to another.  It is adopted in 3G CDMA networks as a
way to maintain connectivity when the mobile node (MN) moves between
access routers.  However, this handover procedure requires not only
movement detection by the MN, but also the acquisition of a new
Care-of Address and Mobile IPv6 registration with the new care-of
address before the traffic can be sent or received in the target
network.  During this period, packets destined for the mobile node
may be lost, which may not be acceptable for a real-time application
such as Voice over IP (VoIP) or video telephony.  This document
specifies fast handover methods in the 3G CDMA networks in order to
reduce latency and packet loss during handover.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop