Subject: [Mipshop] RFC 5269 on Distributing a Symmetric Fast Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) Handover Key Using SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:27:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5269

        Title:      Distributing a Symmetric Fast Mobile 
                    IPv6 (FMIPv6) Handover Key Using SEcure 
                    Neighbor Discovery (SEND) 
        Author:     J. Kempf, R. Koodli
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32742
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5269.txt

Fast Mobile IPv6 requires that a Fast Binding Update is secured
using a security association shared between an Access Router and a
Mobile Node in order to avoid certain attacks.  In this document, a
method for provisioning a shared key from the Access Router to the
Mobile Node is defined to protect this signaling.  The Mobile Node
generates a public/private key pair using the same public key
algorithm as for SEND (RFC 3971).  The Mobile Node sends the public
key to the Access Router.  The Access Router encrypts a shared
handover key using the public key and sends it back to the Mobile
Node.  The Mobile Node decrypts the shared handover key using the
matching private key, and the handover key is then available for
generating an authenticator on a Fast Binding Update.  The Mobile
Node and Access Router use the Router Solicitation for Proxy
Advertisement and Proxy Router Advertisement from Fast Mobile IPv6
for the key exchange.  The key exchange messages are required to
have SEND security; that is, the source address is a
Cryptographically Generated Address (CGA) and the messages are signed
using the CGA private key of the sending node.  This allows the
Access Router, prior to providing the shared handover key, to
verify the authorization of the Mobile Node to claim the address
so that the previous care-of CGA in the Fast Binding Update can
act as the name of the key.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop