Subject: [Mipshop] AAA-based Handover Keys

From: "Vijay Devarapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:49:07 -0400

Hello Folks,

We didn't get a chance to discuss the next steps on AAA-based handover
keys. We ran out of time. Here are some observations.
 
For progressing FMIPv6 to Proposed Standard, we have standardized one
mechanism based on SeND. I don't expect this mechanism to be implemented
by anyone. This could change if SeND does get deployed, but that might
take some time.

There are some solutions available for AAA-based handover keys.

- There is one draft from Alper that talks about deriving the MN-AR key
assuming that there is some sort of shared key between the mobile node
and the access router.
- The second one is from Vidya that defines a new protocol with message
exchange between the mobile node, the access router and the handover
keying server (presumably on the AAA) for deriving a MN-AR key for use
with FMIPv6.
- The third one is to punt part of the problem to HOKEY. We assume that
there is an USRK available for FMIPv6 and we just describe how to derive
the MN-AR key from this USRK.

We could pick one and standardize it. But the issue is that I don't
think there would be any customers (SDO or non-SDO) for the solution we
develop in the MIPSHOP WG. The expectation is that SDOs would use some
access-specific signaling to secure MN-AR FMIPv6 messages. I also think
that we don't have sufficient information today to pick a solution.

So the proposal is to write up an Informational document that says there
are a number of ways to leverage the AAA infrastructure to derive MN-AR
key for FMIPv6. We don't actually define a solution. Just point to some
of the possible solutions. We won't be standardizing any of the solution
documents. In addition, we can mention in the document that if there is
sufficient interest in one of the solutions or if some solution actually
gets deployed in the future, we can pick that and standardize it.

The slides that I was going to present are at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08jul/slides/mipshop-3.pdf

Comments?

Vijay
_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop

---

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:55:50 -0500

Hi Vijay

Sounds good.

I think it makes sense to have an informational document.

BR
Frank

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:41:09 -0500

Very pragmatic and refreshingly realistic. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of ext Vijay Devarapalli
Sent: 30 July, 2008 10:49
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mipshop] AAA-based Handover Keys

Hello Folks,

Comments?

Vijay

---

From: "Stefano Faccin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:49:10 -0700

I would definitely support creating only the informational document.
Stefano

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf
> Of Vijay Devarapalli
> Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]

---

From: "Suresh Krishnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:19:45 -0400

Hi Chairs,
  I think that having at least an informational document is a good idea. I am willing to work on such a document along with other interested folks.
 
Thanks
Suresh

________________________________

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Stefano Faccin
Sent: Thu 31/07/2008 5:49 AM
To: Vijay Devarapalli; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] AAA-based Handover Keys

Behalf