Subject: [Mipshop] Protocol Action: 'Locating IEEE 802.21 Mobility Servers using DNS' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:39:04 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Locating IEEE 802.21 Mobility Servers using DNS '
   <draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dns-discovery-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines application service tags that allow service 
   location without relying on rigid domain naming conventions, and DNS 
   procedures for discovering servers which provide Mobility Services. 
   Mobility Services are used to assist an MN in handover preparation 
   (network discovery) and handover decision (network selection). The 
   services addressed by this document are the Media Independent 
   Handover Services defined in [1].

Working Group Summary

   This is a part of the 802.21 transport functionality, a
   chartered work item of the MIPSHOP WG.

   Significant questions were raised in AD review about the
   draft. Discussion with DNSDIR members eventually resolved
   most of these concerns, and after some modification the
   draft is moving forward.

Document Quality

   Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the IESG.
   Several DNSDIR reviews have been obtained.

Personnel

   Vijay Devarapalli is the Document Shepherd. The responsible
   Area Director is Jari Arkko.

RFC Editor Note

  Please change this in the IANA considerations section:
  OLD:
   New entries to the table that specify additional transport protocols
   for the existing Service Fields may be registered by IANA on a First
   Come First Served' basis [RFC5226].
  NEW:
   New entries to the table that specify additional transport protocols
   for the existing Service Fields may similarly be registered by 
   IANA through Standards Action [RFC5226].

  Also, please add to the IANA considerations section:
  NEW:
    IANA is also requested to register MIHIS, MIHES, MIHCS as service
    names in the Protocol and Service Name registry.

  And add to the end of the Security Considerations section:
  NEW:
    Where inputs to the procedure described in this document
    are fed via DHCP, DHCP vulnerabilities can also cause
    issues. For instance, the inability to authenticate
    DHCP discovery results may lead to the mobility service
    results also being incorrect, even if the DNS process was
    secured.