Subject: [Mipshop] RFC 5949 on Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5949

        Title:      Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile 
                    IPv6 
        Author:     H. Yokota, K. Chowdhury,
                    R. Koodli, B. Patil,
                      F. Xia
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 72722
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5949.txt

Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6; RFC 3775) provides a mobile node with IP mobility
when it performs a handover from one access router to another, and
fast handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) are specified to enhance the
handover performance in terms of latency and packet loss.  While
MIPv6 (and FMIPv6 as well) requires the participation of the mobile
node in the mobility-related signaling, Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6;
RFC 5213) provides IP mobility to nodes that either have or do not
have MIPv6 functionality without such involvement.  Nevertheless, the
basic performance of PMIPv6 in terms of handover latency and packet
loss is considered no different from that of MIPv6.

When the fast handover is considered in such an environment, several
modifications are needed to FMIPv6 to adapt to the network-based
mobility management.  This document specifies the usage of fast
handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6; RFC 5568) when Proxy Mobile IPv6
is used as the mobility management protocol.  Necessary extensions
are specified for FMIPv6 to support the scenario when the mobile node
does not have IP mobility functionality and hence is not involved
with either MIPv6 or FMIPv6 operations.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC