Subject: [MLS] Resend Request - Re: Adapting Hierarchical Key Derivation for Ephemeral Signatures in MLS

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:27:30 -0700

Dear MLS list users...

Over this past weekend, the IETF was hit with a flood of forged emails
sent to many lists and aliases demanding that money be sent to a
"bitcoin wallet" in exchange for the deletion of compromising videos
of accountholders' personal activities.  Obviously it was just junk
spam, but the level was quite high.  To mitigate it, we inserted a
temporary blocking rule for the phrase "bitcoin wallet" into the
global spam system, preventing such email from flowing through, based
on the strong match for the spam, and the certain knowledge that the
IETF does not write standards for bitcoin wallets.

Just now, Sean contacted IETF-ACTION about some missing messages to
this list over the weekend.  In checking the problem, I noted that
earlier messages in this thread said, in part:

> HKD logic has also been implemented in Bitcoin wallets for a while now

Like winning the lottery, this (I thought) improbable phrase matched
our rule and caused any replies quoting this phrase to be discarded by
our spam system.

In the hope that the attack is over, I've now taken out this rule.

If you sent a reply to the above-mentioned thread over the weekend,
and don't see it in the list archive here:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/mls/

then please resend your email to the list at this time.  It should go
through without issue now.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Glen
--
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:34:26 -0400

Thank you for your diligence, Glen.  Glad we got the false positive
addressed.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:28 PM Glen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> MLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mls
>