Subject: [MLS] TLS WireFormat: include Welcome and Public

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:42:36 -0800

Hi,
When implementing a distribution server, I think it should be possible to
send application messages, handshake messages, welcome messages, and public
group state messages over the same channel. The current format doesn't
allow that. This seems like an important oversight.

I propose a small modification by adding the WireFormat enum at the
beginning of Welcome and PublicGroupState, and adding the two types to
WireFormat. If we don't do this, I can expect someone in the IESG bringing
this up at a much less convenient time.

enum {
  reserved(0),
  mls_plaintext(1),
  mls_ciphertext(2),
  mls_welcome(3),
  mls_publicgroupstate(4),
  (255)
} WireFormat;

struct {
 WireFormat wire_format = mls_welcome;
...
} Welcome;

struct {
 WireFormat wire_format = mls_publicgroupstate;
...
} PublicGroupState;

Thanks,
-rohan

*Rohan Mahy  *l  Vice President Engineering, Architecture

Chat: @rohan_wire on Wire

Wire <https://wire.com/en/download/> - Secure team messaging.

*Zeta Project Germany GmbH  *l  Rosenthaler Straße 40,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>10178
Berlin,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>
Germany
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Morten J. Broegger

HRB 149847 beim Handelsregister Charlottenburg, Berlin

VAT-ID DE288748675