Subject: [MLS] Weekly github digest (MLS Working Group summary)

From: Repository Activity Summary Bot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 23:45:53 -0800 (PST)

Issues
------
* mlswg/mls-protocol (+3/-7/💬10)
  3 issues created:
  - Remove redundant nodes from the tree (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/559 
  - Do we still need `endpoint_id`? (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/558 
  - Relationship and definition of Key Schedule and Secret Tree? (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/557 

  7 issues received 10 new comments:
  - #558 Remove `endpoint_id` (3 by bifurcation, br-hale, kkohbrok)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/558 
  - #540 Proposals by reference in external commit (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/540 
  - #539 Separation between pre-published key packages and leaf node content (2 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/539 
  - #538 KeyPackage lifetime handling (1 by tomleavy)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/538 
  - #537 Clarity around extensions and `RequiredCapabilities` (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/537 
  - #528 Include `context` in `MLSPlaintextTBS` for sender_type `NewMember` (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/528 
  - #409 Draft structure/Editorial Changes (1 by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/409 [editorial] 

  7 issues closed:
  - Proposals by reference in external commit https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/540 
  - Relationship and definition of Key Schedule and Secret Tree? https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/557 
  - Clarity around extensions and `RequiredCapabilities` https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/537 
  - Conflicting proposal / commit behavior https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/542 
  - KeyPackage lifetime handling https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/538 
  - Include `context` in `MLSPlaintextTBS` for sender_type `NewMember` https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/528 
  - MLS version is used inconsistently in strings https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/issues/531 

Pull requests
-------------
* mlswg/mls-protocol (+18/-24/💬37)
  18 pull requests submitted:
  - Consolidate ratchet-tree-related sections (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/568 
  - Reorg move crypto forward (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/567 
  - Split ratchet tree into concepts and operations (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/566 
  - Add some subsection divisions to the Commit section (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/565 
  - Define _key schedule_ and reference in Figure 1 (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/564 
  - Align cryptographic state description with figure (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/563 
  - Forbid proposals by reference in external commits (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/562 
  - Strip end of line whitespace (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/561 
  - Exempt default features from RequiredCapabilities (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/560 
  - Fix some typos. (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/556 
  - Add clarifying note about _resolution_ in the most common case. (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/555 
  - Use common-sense definition of _descendant_ (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/554 
  - Make definition of _group_ match the Introduction definition (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/553 
  - fetching KeyPackages SHOULD be rate limited. (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/552 
  - Rename InitKeys -> KeyPackages;  and GroupInfo -> PublicGroupState (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/551 
  - Adjust ASCII art to fit within 72 character limit. (by rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/550 
  - Add branch/init overview (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/549 
  - Update the description of the evolution of GroupContext (by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/548 

  11 pull requests received 37 new comments:
  - #565 Add some subsection divisions to the Commit section (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/565 
  - #562 Forbid proposals by reference in external commits (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/562 
  - #560 Exempt default features from RequiredCapabilities (2 by bifurcation, tomleavy)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/560 
  - #555 Add clarifying note about _resolution_ in the most common case. (2 by Bren2010, rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/555 
  - #549 Add branch/init overview (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/549 
  - #547 Domain separation for KeyPackage and Proposal references (2 by TWal, kkohbrok)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/547 
  - #546 Downgrade MUST to SHOULD for commit senders including all valid commits (5 by bifurcation, raphaelrobert, tomleavy)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/546 
  - #532 Get rid of explicit protocol version fields (1 by bifurcation)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/532 
  - #527 Stronger parent hashes for authenticated identities (10 by MartaMularczyk, TWal, bifurcation, kkohbrok, psyoptix)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/527 
  - #523 Move `wire_format` to a separate tagged-union structure MLSMessage (2 by bifurcation, rohan-wire)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/523 
  - #509 Be explicit that Credentials can attest to multiple identities (10 by bifurcation, br-hale, tomleavy)
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/509 

  24 pull requests merged:
  - Split ratchet tree into concepts and operations
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/566 
  - Add some subsection divisions to the Commit section
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/565 
  - Forbid proposals by reference in external commits
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/562 
  - Be explicit that Credentials can attest to multiple identities
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/509 
  - Define _key schedule_ and reference in Figure 1
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/564 
  - Align cryptographic state description with figure
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/563 
  - Exempt default features from RequiredCapabilities
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/560 
  - Strip end of line whitespace
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/561 
  - fetching KeyPackages SHOULD be rate limited.
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/552 
  - Use common-sense definition of _descendant_
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/554 
  - Add clarifying note about _resolution_ in the most common case.
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/555 
  - Make definition of _group_ match the Introduction definition
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/553 
  - Fix some typos.
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/556 
  - Rename InitKeys -> KeyPackages;  and GroupInfo -> PublicGroupState
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/551 
  - Downgrade MUST to SHOULD for commit senders including all valid commits
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/546 
  - Adjust ASCII art to fit within 72 character limit.
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/550 
  - Add branch/init overview
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/549 
  - Domain separation for KeyPackage and Proposal references
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/547 
  - Tighten up branch and reinit; define ResumptionPSKUsage
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/525 
  - Update the description of the evolution of GroupContext
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/548 
  - Remove version from ciphersuites
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/544 
  - Make some sections easier to read.
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/541 
  - Be consistent about version labeling
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/543 
  - Unambiguous signatures
    https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol/pull/526 

Repositories tracked by this digest:
-----------------------------------
* https://github.com/mlswg/mls-architecture
* https://github.com/mlswg/mls-protocol
* https://github.com/mlswg/mls-federation