Subject: [MLS] What happens inside MLS stays inside MLS...

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 08:58:48 +0100

Hello,
I just submitted two new drafts about what might happen inside the MLS
protocol for instant messaging applications. Since much of the original
interest in MLS came from the messaging community, having a baseline
interoperable format for instant messaging among members of an MLS group
seemed pretty important, especially once we move on to MLS federation.

The main draft [1] is mostly a profile of other things like CPIM and
various MIME headers.
[1] https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mahy-dispatch-immi-content-00.html
Please note that due to a formatting error as I was submitting, the
multipart/alternative example got truncated. I'm including it at the bottom
of this email.

The companion draft [2] defines two MLS extensions for negotiating MIME
types.
[2]
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mahy-dispatch-immi-mls-mime-00.html
This assumes we incorporate PR #605. Otherwise we would need a really messy
third (probably GroupContext) extension that does not fit nicely with the
semantics of MLS.

Note that I submitted this to dispatch. MLS has a narrow charter in the
security area. [1] has really nothing to do with the MLS protocol and
requires app/art expertise. [2] is an extension to MLS but has as much to
do with MIME as with MLS and needs minimal security expertise. I would be
happy to have [2] in MLS, but it is really not important where the work
gets done.

Comments welcome.
Thanks,
-rohan

-----------
Omitted example from draft-mahy-dispatch-immi-content-00:

Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary=XcrSXMwuRwk9

--XcrSXMwuRwk9
Content-type: message/cpim

From: <im:[email-masked]>
DateTime: 2022-02-08T22:13:45-00:00
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Test Message
--XcrSXMwuRwk9
Content-type: application/vnd.examplevendor-fancy-im-message

<content of example vendor's fancy proprietary format>
--XcrSXMwuRwk9

*Rohan Mahy  *l  Vice President Engineering, Architecture

Chat: @rohan_wire on Wire

Wire <https://wire.com/en/download/> - Secure team messaging.

*Zeta Project Germany GmbH  *l  Rosenthaler Straße 40,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>10178
Berlin,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>
Germany
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Morten J. Broegger

HRB 149847 beim Handelsregister Charlottenburg, Berlin

VAT-ID DE288748675