Subject: [mmox] Time to rethink the commercial angle

From: William George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:53:06 -0500

In order to sidestep some of the thorny (and circular) discussions on
property rights, as well as the petty technical arguments backed by
"customer interests", I propose that only worlds with free access and only
unencumbered objects be allowed to interoperate, at least to start.

The commercial objectives are taking up too much of  _my_ limited bandwidth.

Remember when the internet did not have any commercial interests? This was
up until 1994, not really that long ago.

Waka

---

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:10:00 -0700

William George wrote:
> "customer interests", I propose that only worlds with free access and 
> only unencumbered objects be allowed to interoperate, at least to start.
>
> Remember when the internet did not have any commercial interests? This 
> was up until 1994, not really that long ago.

That can be done by policy on the server side as has already been shown 
with the Gridnauts grid, where the only thing
preserved during the teleport is the name of the avatar simply because 
the asset server interface isn't defined for cross-world teleport. Even 
if asset-sharing was defined, server could have a flag set so that only 
'intergrid-creative-commons" assets would be released to other servers, 
so the issue of NON-sharing  isn't a big deal to implement. It's the 
sharing of assets while preserving meta-data such as 
permissions/copyright that requires the thought.

Lawson

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 04:53:01 +0000

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM, William George
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> unencumbered objects be allowed to interoperate, at least to start.

The word "allowed" isn't appropriate since there is no permission required
to distribute unencumbered objects nor to interoperate.

Apart from that though, the spirit and promise and viability of what you
envisage is clear.  The future of open grids is unbounded, simply because
unencumbered object exchange is unhampered by any constraints except
computer resources, and enthusiasm in the open community probably exceeds
the known physical constraints of teh universe. ;-)

Since the free and open grids have assets that are either public domain or
licensed under free-distribution licenses like GPL, BSD, CC and others, it
makes no sense whatsoever to hold back interop between such open worlds just
because the proprietary worlds can't get their act together.

Fortunately, they're not being held back in the slightest. ;-)

Morgaine.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM, William George
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>
>

---

From: Morgaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 06:57:14 +0000

I need to correct something on my previous post:

> Fortunately, they're not being held back in the slightest. ;-)

I should qualify my last line slightly.   The open worlds are not being held
back for interop *among themselves*.

However, they are being held back currently by the fact that items created
on proprietary worlds *without any kind of encumbrances* ("full perm" in SL
terminology) cannot be marked as "interoperable" by their creators, and
hence cannot currently be released to open grids despite this being their
author's desire.

This is a failure of proprietary grids or worlds to put their interop money
where their mouth is, given that there are no rights, permissions nor
licensing barriers to permitting this.  That's a pity, and it's not specific
to SL.

Morgaine.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Morgaine <[email-masked]>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM, William George <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM, William George <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>

---

From: Jesrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:56:20 +0100

To be honest the thing that really stops a lot of content from moving
out of the SL grid and onto the open grids, is the lack of
micropayment on the latter. Otherwise it's fairly trivial to upload
the same textures and paste the same scripts from one to the other. I
sure would appreciate an export/import tool for prim structures, but
even there exact copies are easy to make, though tedious.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Morgaine
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> back for interop among themselves.
>
> on proprietary worlds without any kind of encumbrances ("full perm" in SL
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>