Subject: Re: [mmox] RealExtend Teleporting Between Worlds

From: Dan Olivares <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:39:40 -0500

"Daniel, could you let us know which technology vendor you work for,
or which world you are spending most of your development time in,
under which avatar name?"

Once again, this has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.  Lets
discuss your points;

"That's not how it works in fact. Items that appear in OpenSim are
either created there from scratch using the same type of tools as
Second Life has, i.e. prims and texture uploading, or they are
uploaded through the use of Second Inventory, which downloads SL
inventory and uploads it on to OpenSim sims, or they are hacked with
all the many available hacks out there. So the question is about
what's happening in OpenSim in that scene, not about what you might
view if you somehow merely open up a window into OpenSim from SL,
which is what it sounds like this is doing, but I'd like to hear more
about it from the authors, and not speculators."

Actually, this is not true with the 'standard tres' on the
SecondLifeGrid ( name taken from http://secondlifegrid.net/ ).   The
protocol specifies that each 'Primitive' has a type identifier called,
'PCode'.   There is a PCode for 'Primitive', there is a 'PCode' for an
Avatar, there is a PCode for a Tree, there is a 'PCode' for Grass.
(Ref: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/PCode )  Additionally, the
protocol has an identifier for type specific information called
'State'.   Each of the 'standard tree types' have a specific value in
this 'State' identifier.   There is absolutely no user created content
sent to the client for 'standard trees and grass' beyond the fact that
it's a tree and the type of tree based on a previously specified
limited group of trees that are in the client, which I'll list below;

Pine1 = 0,
Oak = 1,
TropicalBush1 = 2,
Palm1 = 3,
Dogwood = 4,
TropicalBush2 = 5,
Palm2 = 6,
Cypress1 =7,
Cypress2 = 8,
Pine2 = 9,
Plumeria = 10,
WinterPine1 = 11,
WinterAspen = 12,
WinterPine2 = 13,
Eucalyptus = 14,
Fern = 15,
Eelgrass = 16,
SeaSword = 17,
Kelp1 = 18,
BeachGrass1 = 19,
Kelp2 = 20

You can see more 'stuff' about these details in:
http://gist.github.com/jhs/libopenmetaverse/blob/0f67dc153a621fb6b4d5133d8258f32390221b6e/OpenMetaverse/Primitives/Primitive.cs

Based on this evidence, (and the fact that the trees appear to be
standard 'Linden' trees) the claims are factually incorrect.

Best Regards

Daniel Olivares

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Nobody, the trees are client side generated..  that means they're in
> the client and part of the multimedia included in the client.  The
> client is GPL, with the content in the client licensed under the CC.
> The simulator says, "Hey!, render a pine tree here!", it doesn't say..
>  render a pine tree here, and use 'this texture' made by user 'x'
>
> Daniel, could you let us know which technology vendor you work for, or which world you are spending most of your development time in, under which avatar name?
>
> That's not how it works in fact. Items that appear in OpenSim are either created there from scratch using the same type of tools as Second Life has, i.e. prims and texture uploading, or they are uploaded through the use of Second Inventory, which downloads SL inventory and uploads it on to OpenSim sims, or they are hacked with all the many available hacks out there. So the question is about what's happening in OpenSim in that scene, not about what you might view if you somehow merely open up a window into OpenSim from SL, which is what it sounds like this is doing, but I'd like to hear more about it from the authors, and not speculators. I've already left a question on their blog.
>
> Your assurances about CC licenses in the viewer are about the viewer itself, not the things that it views, and CC is not a solution for commerce in the Metaverse, it's only a solution for collectivism.
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________
> Debt collectors calling your house?  Click here to consolidate into one payment.
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTIk3kTaQHCkKEl0dXU3gIFO00dCRgjO3eWwrFxI84Xd08VnHyB6jm/
>