Subject: [mmox] Reflections

From: Yesha Sivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:40:07 +0200

I just wanted to share with the group few ideas:

1. This is a SMART group of people. I have participated in few similar
efforts and the knowledge here is wide and deep.

2. my 2 cents: the issue of identity and commerce -- enabling it -- is
critical. The long term value of Virtual Worlds is the combination of
3D + Community + Creation + Commerce. (I have written extensively about it
just Google "3d3c virtual worlds").  If we DO NOT DEAL WITH IT -- we will
fail to being the full potential of this medium. I know it is difficult for
some people to appreciate this... arguments like "money will come later" are
not acceptable to me.

3. There is a deep fear here among non-SL people that SL will control the
process. This is a justified fear. But let's face it -- these people have
done an amazing job in the field.
>From a public point of view -- if today SL became totally open it will be
cool. Yet ...even then... I do want to see some kind of a super central
authority  (ala http://www.icann.org/)
for identity, commerce, money etc.

4. Other standards: yes there are few of them out there (and some of you I
work in/for some of them :) -- BUT all good efforts will merge at the end.

I'm positive,

--Yesha

Dr. Yesha Y. Sivan, http://www.dryesha.com; Connecting Real and Virtual
Worlds.