Subject: [mmox] GridInfo work

From: Dr Scofield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:55:09 +0100

hi,

OpenSim has for quite some time now been supporting GridInfo
(http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridInfo) which provides a way of
obtaining grid details such as welcome page, login URI, grid platform
(e.g., SecondLife, OpenSim), etc and use that to automatically configure
a client (the Hippo viewer, for example, supports GridInfo, as does the
rezzme protocol handler).

i'd like to propose including this in MMOX.

    dirk

-- 
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [email-masked] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [email-masked] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

---

From: Suzy Deffeyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:06:13 -0600

Dirk,

Good Point. I also think it's critical that GridInfo be supported. There
needs to be a mechanism for regions to expose the URIs and other information
about that region. Manually passing several URIs on the command line doesn't
work for general users, and becomes painful quickly.  We need to have the
ability (although not the requirement)  to code a  Viewer that use mmox
protocols that can behave like a general purpose browser that use GridInfo
to self configure as an end user moves from region to region.

Suzy Deffeyes

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Dr Scofield <[email-masked]>wrote:

> RL: [email-masked] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/<http://www.zurich.ibm.com/%7Ehud/>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>

---

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:28:14 -0800

awesome! thanks for the suggestion. as we work out some of the specs  
regarding connecting to grids, this should definitely be discussed.  
exactly what spec it would live in is unclear at this early stage. but  
it sounds like there's a good discussion regarding work items to  
include in the charter, so as we start  that discussion, we should  
remember to make sure we define a document whose scope include grid  
meta-info. Morgaine has spoken in support of the work too, so we're  
off to a good start.

-cheers,
-m/∞