Subject: [mmox] LLSD, VWSD and MMOP

From: Catherine Pfeffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:55:58 +0100

Morgaine said:
> 1) LLSD: defines a foundational ADT definition and an extensible set of
> serializations as used by Linden Lab in SL.
> 2) VWSD: defines the set of ADTs (taken from LLSD[-Extended]) that form
the
> "universe of discourse" for VW interop.
> 3) MMOP: defines how the data elements described in VWSD are used in the
> interop protocol.
> Does this sound right?

> since VWSD is just a subset of LLSD with extra mapping information.

Taking the example of 64 bit integers, I don't see how 64 bit integers could
be defined in a subset of a 32 bit only standard. It would rather be the
reverse way then, LLSD as a subset of VWSD.

Besides that, I'm not sure that decoupling communication with other grids
from SL internal mechanisms is a good idea.

Or did I miss your point?

-- 
Cathy

---

From: Morgaine Dinova <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:01:53 +0000

Apparently LLSD is being modified for 64-bit integers, which would still
allow LLSD to be the independent and generic superset of all types required
by VWSD.  If so then this decoupling into 3 levels of specification would
still be possible.

Indeed, if LL is willing to update LLSD regularly with every new data type
that we require, this situation could continue indefinitely, ie. LLSD always
defining the low-level bits in an application-agnostic manner.

I particularly like idea of VWSD defining the mapping of special VW types
into LLSD data types without itself introducing new data types.  This is
clean separation of concerns, allowing LLSD to be generic and MMOP to be
compact and concerned with protocol only.

Morgaine.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Catherine Pfeffer
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Taking the example of 64 bit integers, I don't see how 64 bit integers
> could be defined in a subset of a 32 bit only standard. It would rather be
> the reverse way then, LLSD as a subset of VWSD.
>
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>
>