Subject: Re: [mmox] mmox Digest, Vol 1, Issue 113

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:57:43 GMT

The information is the same as the object when the object itself was all made up of information in the first place.

The expression "rez" comes from the old science fiction novel Tron from the 1980s, where there was a concept of a grid and things appearing on it, so evidently it comes from the word "to resolve" as in "to come into view" I believe -- but others might know better. 

I don't know why they didn't use the word "instantiate," perhaps because it isn't an instance but a resolution.

____________________________________________________________
Improve your driving ability with a stop at traffic school. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTMLItIlvinHjvNdh8Lge0bJScMosX4pDGChGv9Xi7zuSFSaXqs4qU/

---

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:13:34 -0800

i think jon might have been asking what does "rez" mean in the context  
of this discussion.

it is the term we (second life and open sim) use to describe the  
process of placing a task into a region. unlike Entropia Universe and  
other prototype-based systems, second life and open sim "place" the  
item itself into a region. unlike nanocosm and other similar virtual  
worlds, copy restrictions are enforced not my instantiation limits but  
by moving an object from one's inventory to the simulator. the  
"rezzing" process is the bit of protocol that makes sure the simulator  
has properly instantiated the object in the simulator and potentially  
removes it from another (another sim or an inventory description.)

-cheers
-m

On Feb 23, 2009, at 5:57 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> The information is the same as the object when the object itself was  
> all made up of information in the first place.
>
> The expression "rez" comes from the old science fiction novel Tron  
> from the 1980s, where there was a concept of a grid and things  
> appearing on it, so evidently it comes from the word "to resolve" as  
> in "to come into view" I believe -- but others might know better.
>
> I don't know why they didn't use the word "instantiate," perhaps  
> because it isn't an instance but a resolution.
>
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox