Subject: [mmox] Introductions

From: Mark Lentczner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:33:31 -0800

Friends -

As if the internet weren't already full of multiple monikers for  
everyone, many of us have only met in virtual worlds. I suspect that  
I've met some of you in person, via e-mail, and in Second Life, and  
that I don't know that all three of you are the same!

Having so many multiple personalities shakes my own sense of self, so  
I thought I'd start a thread of introductions. I'll go first:

I'm Mark Lentczner. I'm the Sr. Systems Architect at Linden Lab. I've  
been working on Second Life for over three years, mostly on evolving  
the architecture of this growing virtual world. Many of you know me  
from AWG meetings and my office hours as Zero Linden.

Work Identities:
	e-mail:			markl (at) lindenlab (dot) com
	web:			https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zero_Linden
	Second Life: 		Zero Linden

Personal Identities:
	web:			http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/
	Second Life:		Zarf Vantongerloo

	- Mark

Mark Lentczner
Sr. Systems Architect
Technology Integration
Linden Lab

[email-masked]

Zero Linden
[email-masked]

---

From: Christian Scholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:05:37 +0100

Hi!

> Having so many multiple personalities shakes my own sense of self, so I 
> thought I'd start a thread of introductions. I'll go first:

Sounds like a good idea :-) So here go I:

I am Christian Scholz, co-founder of a python centric web development 
agency in Germany called COM.lounge (http://comlounge.net). I started 
with Second Life in February 2007, was experimenting with basically 
everything (did clothes, various machinima pieces, coding of course and 
some client projects around building and scripting), attended the first 
AWG meeting, many of the OGP ones, helped starting the pyogp project and 
created a prototype of a Python/Plone based Agent Domain implementation.

I am also member of the steering commitee of the DataPortability Project 
where we focus on making it easy for users to share their data among 
internet services while retaining as much control about it as possible 
(see http://dataportability.org). Thus I am very much interested in 
connecting the web and the VW world by reusing existing standards where 
possible so that it's easy for users and developers to connect these 
worlds (it's more universes it sometimes seems ;-))

Some Info:

Blog: http://mrtopf.de/blog
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mrtopf
english podcast: http://datawithoutborders.net
german podcast: http://openweb-podcast.de

Second Life avatar: Tao Takashi

-- Christian

-- 
Christian Scholz
Blog: http://mrtopf.de/blog
Company: http://comlounge.net
Podcasts: http://datawithoutborders.net, http://openweb-podcast.de

---

From: Gareth Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:30:10 +0000

My brief intro:
I'm your generic hacker type, briefly did some virtual world hosting
(with my company Litesim Ltd) based on some of the opensim codebase
with heavy mods and my own particular version of interop, had full
avatar, inventory and other goodies TPed from Second Life. I'm
generally a purist with a lot of things (for example, I dislike OOP
but tolerate it when it makes sense).
On SL i'm Gareth Ellison or Gwen Hermit, everywhere else i'm just
Gareth Nelson ([email-masked] or [email-masked]).
Personal site - http://www.garethnelson.com

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Mark Lentczner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Friends -
>
> As if the internet weren't already full of multiple monikers for everyone,
> many of us have only met in virtual worlds. I suspect that I've met some of
> you in person, via e-mail, and in Second Life, and that I don't know that
> all three of you are the same!
>
> I'm Mark Lentczner. I'm the Sr. Systems Architect at Linden Lab. I've been
> working on Second Life for over three years, mostly on evolving the
> architecture of this growing virtual world. Many of you know me from AWG
> meetings and my office hours as Zero Linden.
>
> Work Identities:
>        web:
>  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zero_Linden
>        Second Life:            Zero Linden
>
> Personal Identities:
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>

---

From: "Hurliman, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:44:10 -0700

I'm John Hurliman, a software engineer on Intel's Virtual Worlds Infrastructure team and board member of the Open Metaverse Foundation. I started the libsecondlife project (now libOpenMetaverse) a little over three years ago to provide an open source implementation of the Second Life network protocol. I still make regular contributions to libOpenMetaverse, although my current focus is in the open source virtual world community working on the same goals as the MMOX group. I maintain a work blog at http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/author/john-hurliman/ and a personal blog at http://www.jhurliman.org/

John

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
>Mark Lentczner
>Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:34 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [mmox] Introductions
>
>Friends -
>

---

From: Charles Krinke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:01:53 -0800 (PST)

This is a good idea, Mark, thank you very much.

I am Charles Krinke and my OSGrid avatar name is "Charles Krinke" and on secondlife I am known as "Charlesk Bing". I am one of the OpenSim core developers and director of OSGrid. I have been working on OpenSim for about 2 years now and have been on SecondLife for about the same time.

Charles

________________________________
From: Mark Lentczner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:33:31 PM
Subject: [mmox] Introductions

Friends -

As if the internet weren't already full of multiple monikers for everyone, many of us have only met in virtual worlds. I suspect that I've met some of you in person, via e-mail, and in Second Life, and that I don't know that all three of you are the same!

Having so many multiple personalities shakes my own sense of self, so I thought I'd start a thread of introductions. I'll go first:

I'm Mark Lentczner. I'm the Sr. Systems Architect at Linden Lab. I've been working on Second Life for over three years, mostly on evolving the architecture of this growing virtual world. Many of you know me from AWG meetings and my office hours as Zero Linden.

Work Identities:

Personal Identities:

    - Mark

Mark Lentczner
Sr. Systems Architect
Technology Integration
Linden Lab

[email-masked]

Zero Linden

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:49:28 -0800

Hi all,

I'm Rob Lanphier, Director of Open Source at Linden Lab.  I've been here
for a little over a couple of years now, working mainly on issues
related to the publication of the Second Life viewer under GPL.  I get
wrapped up in open standards work due to my previous work in the IETF's
MMUSIC working group on RTSP.  I'm particularly interested in working in
working groups beginning with "MM", though I sometimes care what the
"MM" actually stands for.

Rob

---

From: David W Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:43:53 -0500

Greetings All: 

I'm David Levine, I work for IBM Research on Virtual Worlds 
Interoperability and Immersive Collaboration Technologies. 
I've spent the past 18 months working on various parts of IBM's virtual 
worlds research and strategy, including coding our
contribution to the OpenSim implementation of the Linden OGP teleport 
work. My interest in the MMOX work is a direct 
outgrowth of IBM's work with OGP and our ongoing involvement in OpenSim 
and a number of other virtual world environments.
If you see me on Second Life, it will most likely be as "Zha Ewry" tho, on 
rare occasions I can be found as "David Levine."

I've done standards work with the W3C, Oasis,  the Object Management 
Group, Sun's Java Community Process and a
wonderfully obscure group known as FIPA. I am a believer that working 
code, and practical lessons learned from actual
implementations are necessary guides toward working standards, but that 
simply enshrining existing code is insufficient, as
it most often embodies a series of compromises which have more to do with 
the history of the code and ideal design. 

I host a weekly discussion in Second Life on topics of interest to the 
Interop and MMOX community, and am looking to
host sessions on at least one of the public OpenSim servers as well, and 
would be delighted to look at hosting sessions
in other worlds, as long as this can be done in an non-exclusionary 
fashion. Anyone interested in he Second Life
discussions can find us at 9:30 AM Second Life Time on Tuesday, contact me 
inworld for an invite. 

Contact information: dwl at us dot ibm dot com 
                                and zha dot ewry at gmail dot com 

- David W. Levine
~ Zha Ewry (ISL)

---

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:22:22 -0800

hola,

i am meadhbh hamrick (pronounced "maeve"), a software architect at  
linden lab. i was involved in the lindenworld beta, left for lack of a  
working mac client, then came back as meadhbh oh. just under a year  
ago i came to work for the lab, leaving behind a couple decades of  
software development and engineering management work, mostly in the  
mobile-embedded, security and mobile-embedded security space. i have  
participated in the omg (object management group) and pkcs (public key  
cryptography standards) efforts in the past and am the co-chair (along  
with ibm's barry leiba) for the upcoming mmox bof meeting. along with  
tess and zero, i was a co-author of last summer's ogp docs and was the  
editor for the current llsd draft.

in a previous life i maintained the cryptonomicon.net and  
securitytechnique.com web sites... from '98 - '04 i blogged more than  
anyone should have to in one lifetime; so i really have no current  
personal web presence.

work identity:
	e-mail:		infinity (at) lindenlab (dot) com
	web:		http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Infinity_Linden
	second life:	infinity linden

personal identity:
	e-mail:		meadhbh (dot) siobhan (at) gmail (dot) com
	second life:	meadhbh oh

in my spare time i enjoy cooking, astronomy, and programming in logo  
and smalltalk, but most of all being a parent.

-cheers
-meadhbh

On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Mark Lentczner wrote:

> Having so many multiple personalities shakes my own sense of self,  
> so I thought I'd start a thread of introductions. I'll go first:
>
> I'm Mark Lentczner. I'm the Sr. Systems Architect at Linden Lab.  
> I've been working on Second Life for over three years, mostly on  
> evolving the architecture of this growing virtual world. Many of you  
> know me from AWG meetings and my office hours as Zero Linden.
>
> Work Identities:

---

From: Justin Clark-Casey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:22:57 +0000

Hi,

I'm Justin Clark-Casey (justincc), a core developer of OpenSimulator and lead developer at Black Dress Technology. 
Commonly I'm Justin Clark-Casey on OpenSim systems and Lulworth Beaumont on the Linden Lab grid.

I'm interested in following along on the discussions with an eye to their eventual implementability.

-- 
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Mark Lentczner wrote:
> I've met some of you in person, via e-mail, and in Second Life, and that 
> I don't know that all three of you are the same!
> 
> been working on Second Life for over three years, mostly on evolving the

---

From: Yesha Sivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:52:17 +0200

Friends (real and virtual, current and future):

My name is Yesha Sivan and I'm the technical coordinator of the Metaverse1
EU based group (www.metaverse1.org) -- we are the leading team behind MPEG-V
.

I have worked on standards for virtual worlds (and real worlds) for 2 years
now -- mainly taking the approach that we need a formal official process.
MPEG was our choice.

In my academic life I teach courses in software design (and virtual worlds),
as well as MBA (and virtual worlds), and... fashion (and virtual worlds).  I
can actually teach any topic and virtual worlds course and I will have lots
of fun with it.

In my business life I work for Metaverse Labs which is a consulting firm
(mainly working with VCs and policy makers, as well as on strategy issues
for IT).

In SL I'm Dera Kit (but not enough in-world as I want or should).

Blog: www.dryesha.com

In virtual worlds I'm best known for the "3D3C" theory (3D, Community,
Creation, Commerce) which I have spoken/written in many places. One of the
latest places  is here: (it has other virtual worlds and enterprise it
related papers)
http://www.dryesha.com/2008/09/cutter-journal-finding-real-world-value.html

For my older work on standards see:
http://www.dryesha.com/2000/12/yeshas-five-dimentions-of-standards.html

I also want to invite people to write papers for a special issue of the
Journal of Virtual Worlds -- I'm co-editing
about Virtual Worlds: Technology, Economy, and Standards.
http://www.dryesha.com/2009/01/cfp-virtual-worlds-technology-economy.html

Looking forward to the work here...

--Yesha

Dr. Yesha Y. Sivan, http://www.dryesha.com; Connecting Real and Virtual
Worlds.

---

From: Yesha Sivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:49:52 +0200

My name is Yesha Sivan and I'm the technical coordinator of the Metaverse1
EU based group (www.metaverse1.org) -- we are the leading team behind
MPEG-V.

In my academic life I teach courses in software design (and virtual worlds),
as well as MBA (and virtual worlds), and... fashion (and virtual worlds).  I
can actually teach any XX and virtual worlds course and I will have lots of
fun with it.

Blog: www.dryesha.com

In virtual worlds I'm best known for the "3D3C" theory (3D, Community,
Creation, Commerce) which I have spoken/written in many places. One of the
latest places (and also some other good quality materials) is here:
http://www.dryesha.com/2008/09/cutter-journal-finding-real-world-value.html

--Yesha

---

From: Yesha Sivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:47:30 +0200

Blog: www.dryesha.com

--Yesha