Subject: [mmox] CICP - relevant work?

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:51:17 -0800

Is this relevant to the proposed charter of this WG?  It seems to me it
would be.

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/04/1934229

(CICP is "a protocol for interacting with virtual worlds", according to
this.)

Also, I guess there are patents in this space, given the slashdot post.

patents and bofs and protocols, oh my...

---

From: Morgaine Dinova <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 05:03:38 +0000

> (CICP is "a protocol for interacting with virtual worlds", according to

It would certainly seem to be relevant, Rodney.

Even though we don't yet have an official charter in MMOX, we all know that
we're here to lay the ground for interoperation of virtual worlds beyond
just Second Life and its clones.  Indeed, that's why this work has been
placed under the aegis of the IETF, to provide a vendor-neutral and
flexible, extensible protocol for interop so that it applies to the needs of
others as well.  Defining an SL-specific protocol would be quite out of
order here.

We will benefit hugely from collaboration with and input from the developers
of other virtual worlds and world systems.  Judging from the Project
Darkstar materials, their infrastructure will be underpinning many a virtual
world (Wonderland is just one), as they seem to have targetted problem areas
that Second Life currently addresses poorly, such as certain areas of
scalability.

I hope that we can gain buy-in from the CICP and MXP people, as well as from
Wonderland developers and from the core Darkstar project as well, and
others.  The usual recommendation of "two reference implementations" will be
more meaningful in the context of a protocol for world interop when the
worlds in question are not clones. :-)

Morgaine.