Subject: [mmox] LESS: The Live Entity State Stream protocol

From: Jon Watte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:33:59 -0800

Given that everybody seems intent on talking about protocols, instead of 
requirements, I have synthesized and edited my previous interoperability 
protocol proposal from 18 months ago, and posted an updated version for 
your consideration. Here's the pre-amble:

This protocol (the LESS protocol) describes updating virtual world 
object properties between virtual world peers (typically, servers of 
virtual world instances). It allows peers to introduce the types of 
objects that they will provide, and allows the responding peers to 
decide what types, and what properties within those types, they actually 
understand and are interested in. This protocol is part of a suite of 
protocols that together make up an advanced virtual world 
interoperability standard; when all the protocols are implemented by two 
or more separate virtual world systems, those systems can interoperate 
at a high level, and provide a congruent shared experience to 
participants from all those worlds. Additional use cases include 
traditional data loggers, a standardized set of analysis tools, and others.

The basic model is that objects are simulated on one host, and a certain 
set of typically well-known properties (identified by id in LESS, and by 
well- known name mapping to id in schema) are mirrored to observing 
peers ....

More at http://www.interopworld.com/mmox-less-protocol

Sincerely,

jw