Subject: [mmox] "home" system of object

From: William George <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 03:15:47 -0500

Jon wrote:

> - Simulation and script execution for a given object needs to be done on
> the "home" system for that object, because objects may be constructed
> assuming wildly disparate execution environments (X3D with JavaScript;
> Prims with SL Script, C++ with XML, Java with JSR 184, etc).

This "home system" could be a complex, doesn't need to be just one machine.

Waka

---

From: Jesrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:08:09 +0100

The original remark can be expanded upon: it is quite simple to make a
client viewer receive content from more than one source, provided the
content itself is designed to be compartimentalized data on the
hosting domain in the first place. It's a matter of opening a few more
network sockets and managing a few more data flows. To the end-user,
what matters is the single renderview - the fact that all the elements
displayed there are seperately hosted and simulated would, in my
experience, make no significant difference.

I fully agree that the hosting source may prove the best location for
converting/porting over content (3D model conversion, format
adaptation, etc.) instead of the client itself, as this is consistent
with my own professional experience with mobile content hosting and
converting. But it still makes sense too that objects tied to one grid
remain on it and are provided from there, cross-grid. It saves a lot
of trouble on having to maintain multiple VMs in multiple versions,
save bandwidth on the transfer of data between grids (though this is
little a problem for large, possibly colocated grids, it's no such
simple thing for individual, private grids / grid nodes of P2P VWs)
and save load on all the duplicated processing required otherwise.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM, William George
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>
>