Subject: [mmox] In-world simul-cast of BOF?

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:20:27 -0700

Seems to me that it would be a great thing (especially for those of us 
who can't make it) if the mmox BOF was held or at least broadcast 
in-world, live. This would be symbolic AND allow those of us who can't 
be there to at least know what is going on, even if the IETF rules 
wouldn't allow us to participate fully.

Which brings up another point: what ARE the IETF rules concerning remote 
participation via VR? I'm guessing they don't exist as yet. Should that 
be something that is worked out before the meeting? Can people who are 
unable to make the meetig get some kind of recognized status at the 
meeting? Even peanut gallery chatter ala Metanomics or Science Friday 
would be a good start.

Lawson

---

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:55:49 -0800

There are technologies being used to gain remote access to IETF
meetings, I believe.  See for example this...

http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/

They've been noodling with offsite access to IETF meetings
for a while.

If there's some public information on how an in-world parallel
meeting could occur using any of these protocols that'd be
an interesting use case.  It was my impression that the state
of the art is not quite there.

Lawson English wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>

---

From: Lawson English <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:02:50 -0700

> of the art is not quite there.

Well, there are two weekly venues for this kind of thing in Second LIfe:

NPR's Science Friday and the MEtanomics interview show.

Ira Flatow keeps an avatar in Second LIfe and monitors background text 
chatter
and weaves it into his interview.

Beyers Sellers interviews guests as Second Life avatars, has a 
simul-cast to the Metanomics webiste, and has special Second Life links 
between several different islands so that that people can watch the 
interview live via QuickTime on the website or one of the Second Life 
islands, and everyone's local chat and website comments are mushed into 
one massive local chat  in realtime.

Seems to me that these would be good models for in-world participation, 
though, the question of "membership" vs peanut gallery status may arise.

L.