Subject: Re: [mmox] Introductions

From: Catherine Pfeffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:00:59 +0100

Hi, nice to meet you all,

I am Catherine Pfeffer in Second Life. In real life, I am an engineer in
computer science, and I run a small technical documentation company.

My (limited) knowledge of LLSD comes from a few open source contributions to
SL. I am mostly a tourist in the AWG group and on the IETF mailing list. I'm
staying here because of intellectual curiosity. I hope nobody minds that
;-).

Best,

-- 
Cathy

---

From: Dan Olivares <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:53:45 -0500

Greetings

My name is Daniel Olivares, I'm one of the core developers on
OpenSimulator as well as the person who worked with David Levine, Mark
L, Meadhbh H, and Bill H to get the OGP drafts implemented in
OpenSimulator.  I'm keenly interested in integrating existing
standards with OpenSimulator and developing workable new standards in
the virtual world market segment.   I've also worked with other open
source authors to implement and test new features with OpenSimulator
as the back end software application.  I have intimate knowledge and
experience in many software development specialties as well as
intimate knowledge of most parts of OpenSimulator.

I'm also one of the founders of the 'IdealistViewer' project, the New
BSD Licensed viewer project. (ss:
http://teravus.wmcv.com/googletester/IdealistViewer53.jpg )

I look forward to spirited, solution oriented discussions and proposals.

Best Regards

Daniel Olivares
(LLGrid: Teravus Ousley)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:10:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I'm Tom Hoff, and I am also one of the core developers of OpenSimulator and the other primary founder of the Idealist Viewer project. I am also the primary developer of "PrimMesher", an open source BSD style licensed c# library for meshing secondlife style prims and sculpted prims. My primary interest in this list is related to the ability to transfer descriptions of geometry and interpret it in a way which allows it to be displayed it in a consistent manner among a variety of viewer platforms. I have a cursory interest in group chat and other parts of associated protocols.

I am a seasoned software engineer with more than 2 decades of experience in software development and new product R&D. My experiences are varied but much time has been focused on color management and reproduction in printed media, image processing and digital halftoning algorithms. 

I have several avatars in Second Life, but the one with the most friends and the largest inventory is a ditzy blonde who goes by the name of "Dahlia".

Best Regards,
--Tom Hoff

---

From: Morgaine Dinova <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 05:45:45 +0000

By way of introduction, I'll just paste the Background section from my user
page at    https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Morgaine_Dinova -- dive in
there for more information or to discuss technical matters outside of MMOX:

===

Chronologically, ElecEng grad/honours, PhD in EE/CompSci (concurrency and
parallelism), postdoctoral research (parallel language design), and finally
university lecturer in EE/CompSci for several years. Then left academia to
work in industry with many clients as a freelance contractor. Very diverse
roles in computing: analyst, designer, programmer, systems architect, QA,
technical author, and sysadmin, in subjects including kernel, comms,
drivers, defence, cryptography, engineering support applications (eg. RF
power density displays), GUIs, firewall design and management, network
monitoring and alerts, automating server farm operation, and multi-year ISP
involvement with scalability of services from 64k to 3m users.

Unix-based by preference and experience, ever since Bell Labs sent me the
source tapes and I took up residence on a PDP-11/34. I think that was
somewhere around the Late Jurassic period.

Language agnostic, too many to care, and several created in passing. The
language is not the problem anyway, just a tool with limited scope, so
mix'n'match them to meet requirements. In computing, I take a strong,
component-oriented engineering line: if you are language-centric and are in
denial about interoperation between components from multiple parties written
in different languages, then you're not part of the solution but part of the
problem.

Currently taking an open-ended sabbatical (I've earned it) for AWG/MMOX/etc
--- it seems like a worthwhile goal.

My main focus in the VW landscape is designing for scalability, open
architectures, and high extensibility.

Non-computing interests include many hard sciences and engineering
disciplines, especially nanotechnology and its related areas, as well as
astronomy and astrophysics, and climatology. Ex-member of IEE and IEEE,
ex-radio amateur, ex hang glider, ex guitar player wannabe, and now
enthusiastically into MIDI. I'm a long-term transhumanist, which loosely
summarizes as being interested only in tomorrow, and shedding prior
constraints every midnight. Virtual worlds fit in perfectly.

I'm UK-based, and hate the weather.
 SL resident since 25th August 2004.

===

Morgaine.