Subject: Re: [mmox] mmox Digest, Vol 1, Issue 111

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:30:41 GMT

<For someone talking about choice so much you seem very preconcerned
with mandating what choices VW providers make. Nothing wrong with
putting a field in the asset metadata for permissions stuff, but it
definitely should NOT be a mandatory part of the standard.

It's absolutely about choice. Stripping DRM out as a mandate and removing the mandate is not choice, but a forced march, under the guise that the mandate would remove choice. In fact, the receiving grid has the choice not to hook up to such grids that have these requirements and it can also defeat them, and then signal to those who care that it is not trustworthy; that should be at the heart of what trustworthy means. Why is the onus only on the sending grid? Collective security isn't about one wild grid getting to defeat the business requirements of all the others under the false flag of choice, it's about collective security; the wild grid can keep its wild DRM-less regime on its own server with its own sandboxers. OpenSim says the opposite, make a silo of permissions on one server as a module, thereby negating commerce as a premise to the architecture.

____________________________________________________________
Switch to the thrill of high speed internet for $19.95/mo with AT&T
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTEs5PjpChbas9zvDZy3dlMmvxUDX7C8QybUtHYlw74vEVquQpBJcP/

---

From: Dan Olivares <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:09:48 -0500

This letter is an example of a False Dilemma logical
fallacy.(http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/false-dilemma.html)
"Either there must be a mandate to protect content, or nobody will
protect content", when in fact, people will protect content based on
their business model, not by some arbitrary mandate.  Some will
require contracts for interoperability that state that content
protection metadata must be honored.

Bringing up OpenSim with regards to this is also purely a 'Poisioning
of the Well' logical fallacy.  "OpenSimulator is Lennist, therefore
it's wrong" (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/poisoning-the-well.html)

Best Regards

Dan

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:30 AM, [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mmox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmox
>