Subject: [mmox] fyi: wrt legal frameworks for online identity

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:58:34 -0700

this is just a fyi. imv these papers are well worth reading by those interested 
in the legal/social aspects of "online identity", and beg questions wrt policy 
considerations in MMOX work.

Noveck, Beth Simone,Trademark Law and the Social Construction of Trust: 
Creating the Legal Framework for On-Line Identity. Washington University Law 
Quarterly, Vol. 83, May 2006; NYLS Legal Studies Research Paper No. 05/06-10. 
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=835924

Crawford, Susan P. ,Who's in Charge of Who I Am? Identity and Law Online. New 
York Law School Law Review, Vol. 49, p. 211, 2004; Cardozo Legal Studies 
Research Paper No. 130. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=796844

=JeffH

ps: looking at papers citing Crawford, these may be of interest (I haven't read 
them yet)..

Gaming, Virtual Worlds and the Law: A Study of the Legal Future of Massively 
Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games
M Kovacs - trinity.edu
http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/worlds/articles/trinity.matt.kovacs.pdf

Online social softwares: policy and regulation in a converged medium
S Humphreys, M Ave, K Grove - 2007 - eprints.qut.edu.au
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00009770/01/9770.pdf

“You’re in our world now” Ownership and access in the proprietary community of 
an MMOG.
S Humphreys - Information Communication Technologies and Emerging Business … - 
eprints.qut.edu.au
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00010610/01/10610a.pdf

pps: this paper cites Noveck..

Identity, Identity Management and Law in the Information Society: Some Basic 
Issues Applied to Internet Banking
A Schmidt - openaccess.leidenuniv.nl
https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/dspace/bitstream/1887/12559/1/Ankara.pdf

---
end