Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] RTSP: eliminate queued play? (#508211)

From: "Anders Klemets" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:41:15 -0800

> Right now it is a MUST for servers, but I am under the impression that
> nobody uses it, and there are servers which do not implement it even
> though it is a MUST.  Could it be made optional for servers?  Servers
> which don't implement it can just return errors for the second and
> further play requests so that the client can detect this.  A Require
> tag could also be introduced for clients which absolutely need queued
> play in order to operate.

Yes, this is a possible solution.  But unless there are two independent
interoperable implementations, it shouldn't be in the Draft Standard RFC
at all.  I think there could be one or more additional RFC's
(Experimental Status) that define optional extensions to RTSP, such as
this one.  These additional RFC's could progress towards standards
status independently of the main RTSP RFC. 

Another problem with queued PLAYs, is that the server typically won't be
able to respond with the Rtp-Info header unless the PLAY is starting
immediately.  So in order for the client to get the Rtp-Info header
belonging to a queued PLAY request, the server may have to send some
kind of command to the client.  Maybe the server could send a
SET_PARAMETER command to the client, and this command would include the
Rtp-Info header.  In any case, RFC-2326 doesn't explain at all how this
is supposed to be accomplished.

Anders

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic