Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: resolving open issues in offer/answer

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:07:07 -0500

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> Comments below - Paul

>>ISSUE 3: Multiple streams of the same type. See the slides for the
>>issue. My proposal was accepted, with the caveat that we would add
>>wording to clarify that the default operation is NOT to copy media
>>from your own local sinks to sources, unless you happen to be a conference
>>server.
>>
> 
> I don't have any substantial objection to what you propose. But the
> first two listed requirements can be met in cursory ways:
> 
> - the requirement that sources must be sent to one or more streams begs
> the question of when you do or don't have a source. For instance, if I
> mute my phone, have I removed a source or have I stopped sending the
> source to a stream?

Its more that there is a binding between a source and a stream, and if 
the source has data, it gets sent on that stream. In the case of mute, I 
would argue that the source has no data.

> 
> - I believe the bit bucket is a perfectly valid sink. I can always
> dispose of input from a stream by conjuring up a bit bucket sink to send
> it to.

It is a question of what behavior is desired by the sender. If the 
sender is collecting media from different sources, it needs to know that 
the general behavior is that all sources will be rendered. If people 
interpret multiple m lines to be "pick one, throw the rest in the 
garbage", then the sender needs to do mixing at its end. So, the 
strength of this incoming stream to actual sink requirement would be 
SHOULD, so that you could still discard a media stream, but only if you 
had some specific reason to do so. That is, the normal behavior would be 
to present everything.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic