Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] REDIRECT diff, v2

From: Thomas Zeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:55:43 -0800

Tom:

What about the resolution from a couple of RTSP telecon ago to replace
END_OF_STREAM with REDIRECT to the same server?

I don't see it in this diff file. Also it would be nice to see the new
section 10.10 in its final form.

thanks,
thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Marshall [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] REDIRECT diff, v2

Here's the new diff that incorporates the action items requested.  Wording
for actions required by the proxy was added and the Location header was made
optional for all 3rr responses (although a 3rr response to a REDIRECT is
probably not such a good idea in the first place...)

-- 
Pardo's First Postulate: Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral,
or fattening.  Arnold's Addendum: Everything else causes cancer in rats.
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Tom Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:06:41 -0800

> END_OF_STREAM with REDIRECT to the same server?

That discussion started from a proposal by Magnus, so I figured he would
write that part.  I can do it if desired.

> section 10.10 in its final form.

The patch utility will produce the final form.

-- 
Psychiatry is the care of the id by the odd.
        -- Anonymous

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:22:59 +0100

Hi Thomas,

>END_OF_STREAM with REDIRECT to the same server?
Just to avoid confusion with naming.

I assume you mean the problem of doing server initiated teardowns.
 From the 22 January notes:

Resolution: use redirect to tell the clients to teardown and reconnect to
the same server. Then tell the clients that
  service is not available via perhaps a info page. That way we have good
backwards compatibility and no 
  need for TEARDOWN S->C nor END_OF_STREAM.

And please Tom I would be thankful if you would include this in your 
text write up.

We have another problem that also has been refered to as END_OF_STREAM. 
This is the problem that a client does not know when the last media 
packets part of the current playout range has been received. Therefore 
one proposal has been to send a END_OF_PLAYOUT request from the server 
to client to tell it that is near and what rtp packets will be the last 
ones.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund 

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]