Subject: [MMUSIC] re: what happens if both SIP UAs want to be active

From: Jiri Kuthan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:25:58 +0200

[sorry, misthreaded -- I copy'n'pasted from archive since I was stripped
 off the recepient list]

What does it mean SIP-wise that negotiation fails?

I mean it would be great to have a special code for this error which 
allows SIP entities to recognized these conditions and act approprietly.

-Jiri

on Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:31:12 -0400, David wrote:
> If they both want to be active, the negotiation fails.

>> At 12:47 PM 6/7/2003, Jiri Kuthan wrote:
>> David,
>> 
>> can you please explain me how SIP signaling proceeds if two UAs both
>> with to have direction=active, since they are behind symmetric NATs?
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> -jiri

--
Jiri Kuthan            http://iptel.org/~jiri/ 

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: David Yon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:07:56 -0400

The SIP gurus can chime in, but seems to me it would be in the same 
category as not being able to come to an agreement vis-a-vis which codec to 
use.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 04:12:44 -0400

Right. That would be a 488 or 606 response code. We also use the 
Warning header to convey more detailed information on exactly what 
happened. It might be useful to register, through IANA, a new 
warn-code for this particular case.

-Jonathan R.

David Yon wrote:
> category as not being able to come to an agreement vis-a-vis which codec 
> to use.
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jiri Kuthan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:18:03 +0200

Jonathan,

is there any border line between what deserves to be a response code
and warning code? 

Do you think it make sense to write a tiny I-D for this
code or is it better specified in the comedia draft?

thanks,

-jiri

At 10:12 AM 6/17/2003, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>Right. That would be a 488 or 606 response code. We also use the Warning header to convey more detailed information on exactly what happened. It might be useful to register, through IANA, a new warn-code for this particular case.
>
>-Jonathan R.
>
>David Yon wrote:
>>The SIP gurus can chime in, but seems to me it would be in the same category as not being able to come to an agreement vis-a-vis which codec to use.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:04:03 -0400

Its easy. 488 indicates a problem with the session description, and 
Warning carries additional information on what happened. Warnings 
arent used for anything else but that.

-Jonathan R.