Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Definition of a RTSP Sesison

From: Thomas Zeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:07:53 -0700

Aravind:

In your proposal, you have:

"The existence of a session implies the existence of 
state about the session's media resources and their respective 
transports."

It is not clear to me what are media resources and their transports --
transport could mean different things, either IP port resource or the
dynamic action of moving information from A to B.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say:

"The existence of a session implies the existence of 
state about the session's media control and media transport mechanism."

Just a suggestion,
- thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Aravind Narasimhan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 9:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] Definition of a RTSP Sesison

Hey Folks,
    In the process of updating the RTSP spec, I've noticed that 
definition of a RTSP Session needs more work.  I have come up with a 
proposal below.  Please send your comments:

Current Definiton:

A state established on a RTSP server by a client with a SETUP request. 
The RTSP session exists until it is timed out by the server or is 
explicitly removed by a TEARDOWN request. A session implies existence of 
state about the media resources that can be played and their respective 
transports.

My Proposed Definition:

A stateful abstraction upon which the main control methods of RTSP 
operate. A RTSP Session is established by a RTSP server upon the 
completion of a successful SETUP request and is labelled by a Session 
Identifier at that time.  The session exists until timed out by the 
server or explicitly removed by a TEARDOWN request.  A RTSP Session is a 
stateful entity; a RTSP server maintains an explicit session state 
machine (see Appendix A) where most state transitions are triggered by 
client requests.  The existence of a session implies the existence of 
state about the session's media resources and their respective 
transports.  A given session can have zero or more media resources 
associated with it.  A RTSP server uses the session to aggregate control 
over multiple media resources.

Aravind

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Aravind Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:59:57 -0400

Incorporating Philippe's and your comments, I have come up with the 
following wording:

RTSP session:  A stateful abstraction upon which the main
control methods of RTSP operate. A RTSP session is a server
entity; it is created, maintained and destroyed by the server. It
is established by a RTSP server upon the completion of a
successful SETUP request (when 200 OK response is sent) and is
labelled by a session identifier at that time. The session exists
until timed out by the server or explicitly removed by a
TEARDOWN request. A RTSP session is also a stateful entity; a
RTSP server maintains an explicit session state machine (see
Appendix A) where most state transitions are
triggered by client requests. The existence of a session implies
the existence of state about the session's media streams and their
respective transport mechanisms.  A given session can have zero or
more media streams associated with it.  A RTSP server uses the
session to aggregate control over multiple media streams.

I'll add this in the spec for now, but in the future, it may make sense 
to add a subsection in section 1 to describe an RTSP Session in more detail.

Aravind