Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP redirection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:51:18 +0200

Magnus you wrote:

[erased context]

>What would be the motivation behind using a differnet 2xx code than 200?
>  Please elaborate with pro and cons.

CONS (use 200)

because the response to the DESCRIBE is simply *successful* ...

PROS (use some 2xx code xx!= 00)

RFC2616 uses the following codes:

  10.2.1   200 OK ...................................................58
   10.2.2   201 Created ..............................................59
   10.2.3   202 Accepted .............................................59
   10.2.4   203 Non-Authoritative Information ........................59
   10.2.5   204 No Content ...........................................60
   10.2.6   205 Reset Content ........................................60
   10.2.7   206 Partial Content ......................................60

These codes are used to distinguish between seleral "flavor" for
a successful response ...

in our case we have a succesful describe BUT the client is requested
to continue at a different location ...

Could also help to indicate different caching status ?
typically such a response should not be cached  no ?

so it could be 207 "Implicit Redirection" ?

hum ?

regards,

Philippe Gentric
Software Architect
Philips MP4Net
[email-masked]
http://www.platform4.philips.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic