Subject: [MMUSIC] What is "application/x-rtsp-mh" (mentioned in the RTSP spec)?

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:40:03 -0700

In the example given in section 15.3 of the RTSP specification, the client 
sends a "DESCRIBE" that includes the following "Accept:" header:

	Accept: application/x-rtsp-mh, application/sdp

What is "application/x-rtsp-mh", and is there any reason to be mentioning 
it in this example?  (I presume not.)  It seems like a mistake for the 
specification to be using experimental (non-IANA-assigned) MIME types in 
its examples.  Is there any reason not to change this to:

	Accept: application/sdp
?

     Ross.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:34:56 +0200

Hi Ross,

Ross Finlayson wrote:
> In the example given in section 15.3 of the RTSP specification, the 
> client sends a "DESCRIBE" that includes the following "Accept:" header:
> 
> What is "application/x-rtsp-mh", and is there any reason to be 
> mentioning it in this example?  (I presume not.)  It seems like a 
> mistake for the specification to be using experimental 
> (non-IANA-assigned) MIME types in its examples.  Is there any reason not 
> to change this to:
> 

>     Accept: application/sdp

I think application/x-rtsp-mh is a bogus MIME type. However I think 
there is reason to include multiple types as a difference to a single 
one as it clarifies that capability. However either a note or a change 
of the MIME type to something registered and useful could be an 
improvement of the example.

I would yet again put out a big caution to all people reading the 
examples in the 03 version of the draft. They are not updated and 
contains a lot of errors. We have so far concentrated on correcting the 
specification text before fixing the examples.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research ERA/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 01:37:10 -0700

I agree with Magnus here.  I think application/x-rtsp-mh actually meant
something in RealNetworks' really early RTSP implementations, but even
we dropped it long, long ago.

This may be a good place to put in an SDPng example if we were feeling
adventurous.

Rob

-- 
Rob Lanphier, Helix Community Coordinator - RealNetworks
http://helixcommunity.org http://rtsp.org http://realnetworks.com

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:23:27 -0700

>I would yet again put out a big caution to all people reading the examples 
>in the 03 version of the draft. They are not updated and contains a lot of 
>errors. We have so far concentrated on correcting the specification text 
>before fixing the examples.

For a specification as large and complex as RTSP, the examples are very 
important, because - rightly or wrongly - people implementing the 
specification will tend to use the examples as guidelines, without always 
reading the rest of the specification in detail.

For instance, I raised the question about the "application/x-rtsp-mh" MIME 
type because I learned about a client (Kasenna) that was including it in 
their "Accept:" headers.

         Ross.