Subject: [MMUSIC] Definition of a RTSP Sesison

From: Aravind Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:29:26 -0400

Hey Folks,
    In the process of updating the RTSP spec, I've noticed that 
definition of a RTSP Session needs more work.  I have come up with a 
proposal below.  Please send your comments:

Current Definiton:

A state established on a RTSP server by a client with a SETUP request. 
The RTSP session exists until it is timed out by the server or is 
explicitly removed by a TEARDOWN request. A session implies existence of 
state about the media resources that can be played and their respective 
transports.

My Proposed Definition:

A stateful abstraction upon which the main control methods of RTSP 
operate. A RTSP Session is established by a RTSP server upon the 
completion of a successful SETUP request and is labelled by a Session 
Identifier at that time.  The session exists until timed out by the 
server or explicitly removed by a TEARDOWN request.  A RTSP Session is a 
stateful entity; a RTSP server maintains an explicit session state 
machine (see Appendix A) where most state transitions are triggered by 
client requests.  The existence of a session implies the existence of 
state about the session's media resources and their respective 
transports.  A given session can have zero or more media resources 
associated with it.  A RTSP server uses the session to aggregate control 
over multiple media resources.

Aravind

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic